Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by volvojack »

Leodian.
That is a simply wonderful story.
I ate Fush and Chips from Youngmans when they were on Briggate just above the Odeon. they had a takeaway and a cafe upstairs..
Also there was a large Fish and chip restaurant on the corner of Merrion Street and Briggate plus they served a takeaway from a narrow street behind. Think this was also a Youngmans.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

Surely the one near the corner with the back entrance down side street behind was Nash's. They were really good. closed for a while, then someone took them over . Only been in once since then and still good, but not quite up to previous standard. I am writing from the point of view of someone who doesn't live nearer than 100 miles from a decent fish & Chip shop

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="chemimike"]Surely the one near the corner with the back entrance down side street behind was Nash's. They were really good. closed for a while, then someone took them over . Only been in once since then and still good, but not quite up to previous standard. I am writing from the point of view of someone who doesn't live nearer than 100 miles from a decent fish & Chip
shop.

You are quiite correct, now i remember it had a sort of Tudor looking frontage, never went in there but they also had a restaurant in Headingly that was so popular you had to book a table.

As for you living 100 miles away from a decent Chippy i myself live nearly 200 away and when i visit family in Leeds my first call in Crossgates / Colton to the Skyliner Fish 'Oile. They are wonderful.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I live 200 miles from Leeds, but if you are ever there the chippy at the Black country museum (100 miles away) manages a very good try

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="chemimike"]I live 200 miles from Leeds, but if you are ever there the chippy at the Black country museum (100 miles away) manages a very good try

Though thats not likely thanks for the tip, where are you exactly ?

Just back to Leeds city centre fish shops i always rated the one on the left hand side of Merion St (narrow bit) where Mick Christie offered a free pickled gerkin with every portion of F . and Chips. from his shop.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I'm in Reading.

edlong

Post by edlong »

Youngmans? I think in later years that was the one that had a restaurant on the first floor above the shops on the street that was glazed over and now forms part of the Victoria Quarter?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="edlong"]Youngmans? I think in later years that was the one that had a restaurant on the first floor above the shops on the street that was glazed over and now forms part of the Victoria Quarter.

There was a restaurant for many many years upstairs on the corner of Eastgate and Vicar lane, dont know if it was ever Youngmans or even a Fish restaurant.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

According to Leodis it was Atkinson's from 1933 to some
time in the sixties.
I don't remember who took over but it was possibly Indian after then
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on page 3 of the YEP today (Dec 27 2016) about bus lane fines imposed in Leeds. The YEP report is based on a Freedom of Information request so presumably the information comes from that, unless the YEP has edited it. The YEP mentions some 'Fine Hotspots 2016' and one of them is the "North St Junction, Duke St" from which 4,080 fines were issued and £124,864 fines were paid. Reading of a North Street/Duke Street junction immediately caused me to think they do not meet and that seemed to be confirmed checking a map. I'm :?.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.