Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
chemimike

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by chemimike »

The Metro is a better bet (I take it that they have that in Leeds), It has nothing worthwhile in it at all, adn it is better to use it for something than throw it on the floor, which is what seems to happen to most of them

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Another gem in the YEP tonight.
"2men arrested over burglaries."
The men were seen aound lunchtime in the Harrogate area travelling in a white Mercedes SPRITZER van.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="dogduke"]Another gem in the YEP tonight.
"2men arrested over burglaries."
The men were seen around lunchtime in the Harrogate area travelling in a white Mercedes SPRITZER van.

Will they get Legal Aid or Lemonade ?.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The YEP has an interesting 'On This Day' feature each day that very briefly states some events that happened on that day in the past. Unfortunately that for today (May 5 2017) has repeated several items that happened on May 4 in the past which were reported in yesterday's issue (May 4 2017). Those stated to have occurred on May 4 are correctly dated. Perhaps the information is provided from elsewhere and the YEP just reproduced it as it came?
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I do an item on a Birmingham forum, equivalent to Secret Leeds, where I every day look at items in the Birmingham Press 150 years before, and (if there are any, usually local to Birmingham, that strike my interest). post them. Doing this I have often found items repeated in the next day's paper, (and on occasion repeated in the same day's paper). Sometimes they seem to just have put the same item in (down to exact wording) and sometimes (for more national news) they quote from another paper using different wording.

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

Leodian wrote:The YEP has an interesting 'On This Day' feature each day that very briefly states some events that happened on that day in the past. Unfortunately that for today (May 5 2017) has repeated several items that happened on May 4 in the past which were reported in yesterday's issue (May 4 2017). Those stated to have occurred on May 4 are correctly dated. Perhaps the information is provided from elsewhere and the YEP just reproduced it as it came?

Groundhog day!! ha ha
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Johnston Press that owns the Yorkshire Evening Post must be getting a bit short of money as the weekend crossword in Saturday editions of the YEP no longer has a prize money (it was 1x£10 and 3x£5) :roll:. Ah well, it will save me the weekly 2nd class stamp and envelope costs ;).

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a picture on page 13 of the YEP today (July 7 2017) that is stated to show Bridgewater Place but I feel certain that it does not show that. I think it does show Leeds Dock (Clarence Dock) that is some way away near to the Royal Armouries. I wonder if anyone else that has seen the picture can confirm it does not show Bridgewater Place. That well-known very tall building will be readily visible from the fairly near YEP offices so surely it would have been obvious that the picture does not show Bridgewater Place.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

:?:

Can you not take a photo of the pic and post it on here.

I'm afraid that I have not bought that paper in years, a couple of decades maybe. Everything these days is online so no need to waste money on journalistic garbage.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

I only have the online version which doesn't have page numbers.
If this is the photograph, it is Bridgewater place.
The university, and town hall are In the photograph and if you draw the sight lines on a map it has to be Bridgewater Place building.
My guess is the photo was taken from the top of the South Leeds Academy,
with a telephoto lens so that the chimneys of Holbeck are included in the foreground.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (115.58 KiB) Viewed 7024 times