Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Johnny39 wrote: When I started at the old Yorkshire Evening News in the '50's we printed the Green Final (Green Un) on Saturday night. This contained written reports on Leeds United, Leeds RL, Hunslet etc., in fact most of the local sport played that day. All of the Football scores were included and it was usually on the streets by 5.30 p.m.. " The Pink", (Sporting Pink), was the daily racing paper and was often referred to as "The Tissue". This was printed at night so as to be in the newsagents in time for the early birds to read on their way to work in the morning. It was a very well thought of racing paper in its day. When the "News" closed in 1963, I think the title was taken over by The Racing Post. The Yorkshire Evening Post sports paper was always known to me as "The Buff". Hope this has been of some use to you. Thanks for that. I had an uncle who worked for the Evening News and I used to deliver evening papers myself in the early 60s but memories fade and I had forgotten all about the green and only just remember the pink.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Bert

Post by Bert »

In the late 50s/early 60s I used to sell Green Finals outside the Ritz Cinema in Crossgates for Arthur Taylor, who ran his newsagents business from a tiny green wooden kiosk fixed to the railings of the tram terminus next to the public lavatory opposite the Regal. Met loads of interesting people and made some friends for life doing it. They used to sell like hotcakes to passers-by keen to get the full stories on the games of Leeds United, Leeds or Hunslet, always well written and full of interest. It's tragic that such a great city can no longer boast great newspapers, only cheap dross produced by people who don't give a toss. But the reason for that is probably right at your finger tips right now.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Bert wrote: a tiny green wooden kiosk fixed to the railings of the tram terminus next to the public lavatory opposite the Regal. It's probably only on this site that such a phrase can be appreciated!Cheers. :-D

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

More depths plumbed tonight.A headline boasts about the "Tour of Britain" cycle race starting in Yorkshire this year, then goes on to actually say the race will start in Scunthorpe!!! Has Yorkshire been expanded into North Lincs on the quiet? I can quite understand Scunthorpians wishing to become Tykes, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been moved yet. Admittedly the race will then continue through Yorkshire, but it sure ain't starting in Gods Own County.As you read the press release cunningly printed as a news article, it goes on the mention the dreaded "Yorkshire and Humber Region", the EU administrative area that we all live in, but which has crept in silently and with barely a murmur.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

liits

Post by liits »

raveydavey wrote: More depths plumbed tonight.A headline boasts about the "Tour of Britain" cycle race starting in Yorkshire this year, then goes on to actually say the race will start in Scunthorpe!!! Has Yorkshire been expanded into North Lincs on the quiet? I can quite understand Scunthorpians wishing to become Tykes, but as far as I'm aware it hasn't been moved yet. Admittedly the race will then continue through Yorkshire, but it sure ain't starting in Gods Own County.As you read the press release cunningly printed as a news article, it goes on the mention the dreaded "Yorkshire and Humber Region", the EU administrative area that we all live in, but which has crept in silently and with barely a murmur. This shouldn’t be a surprise coming from the YEP. They laid down their own trap in their name... YORKSHIRE.I’m not that well up on the history of the YEP but it was only ever the evening paper for Leeds, never the evening edition of the Yorkshire Post [a regional paper - allbe it a good one- with unrealised pretentions of grandeur, like the Manchester Guardian. Sheffield, Bradford and York all have long had their own newspapers so why and when did the YEP begin to see itself as the centre of the universe for reporting everybody else’s news [badly]?If I remember correctly, things were not too dissimilar with the output of guff from Look North and Calendar [or whatever it calls itself these days]. Look North did just that – never reporting anything further south than Otley and, on occasions, even reaching as far afield as Newcastle [where they have their own local TV news]. Calendar looked the other direction and set its sights towards Sheffield, Barnsley and Rotherham. Calendar’s weather report even went down as far as North Norfolk!Neither of them ever looking out of the window at Leeds – from where they are broadcast! It seems to be that if you’re a reporter in Leeds the News is something that happens somewhere – anywhere – else. Except in Leeds.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

While Tyne Tees was swallowed up by YTV long before the latter was swallowed by Granada and then became simply ITV I believe the broadcast areas have not changed.YTV was certainly a misnomer as the north west of the county was probably covered by Border/Granada. Most of the rest of North Yorks certainly fell in Tyne Tees although I suspect you had to be north of Harrogate/York/Brid for TT to be the stronger signal. That left much of the east riding and the west riding added to Lincolnshire, east Notts and North Norfolk in the YTV region. This is still reflected in the Weather map so I assume is still ITV Yorkshire.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

According to the YEP tonight Bombardier Craig Hopson, of 40th Regiment Royal Artillery, was 'kiled' in action in Afghanistan??http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 5556148.jp    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Brandy wrote: According to the YEP tonight Bombardier Craig Hopson, of 40th Regiment Royal Artillery, was 'kiled' in action in Afghanistan??http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/n ... 5556148.jp     I'd say it was rather sad scouring the rag for these glitches - but they're not exactly rare or difficult to find are they

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

You don't even have to scour it its bang smack there in the first paragraph of the headline story!What a joke dont they have a spell checker lol
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

LS13

Post by LS13 »

The YEP do seem to have replaced a lot of the older more experienced columnists with 20 to 30 somethings. Either thats a conscious attempt to attract a younger audience, or a cost cutting measure. In years gone by, they had people like John Morgan and Anne Pickles, and we now have to put up with the inane musings of Leigh, and even more annoying-Rod Mcphee. He obviously does all he can to get a reaction, no doubt to justify to the editor that he's prompting debate amongst the readers. However, anyone saying things like 'urban' graffiti is fine and he wouldnt mind it on his house wall; that Ecstasy is less dangerous than alcohol; that throwing up thousands of city centre apartments in Leeds Centre is a great idea, can't expect to be taken seriously as a journalist. Any fool can get a reaction by writing rubbish that will annoy the main demographic of the paper. Lazy Journalism is one thing but failure to employ proficient features writers is another altogether. Bring back Keith Waterhouse!