Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by Leodian »

The price of the YEP has risen again. This time by 4p, so it is now 72p for non-subscribers. In a report on page 7 of today's YEP (Dec 21 2015) relating to the increase it states "We know the YEP is still exceedingly good value - and that price is far from the only factor for readers choosing the YEP...We pledge to consistently work to improve your YEP and do as you expect us to do - be the paper in Leeds, of Leeds and for Leeds and to maintain high standards of journalism".

As it has been very Leeds orientated for a long time now it really should be rebranded as the 'Leeds News' or similar. The promise "to maintain high standards of journalism" made me :o that the YEP thought it already had high standards!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

liits

Post by liits »

72p! Good grief, I've been away a long time, the last time I bought it it was 20p [and it wasn't worth the money then, either].

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is a report on the back page of the YEP today (Jan 20 2016) about a possible row that may happen between Leeds United and Sky Sports regarding plans by Sky to have a Leeds United game rearranged next month. The report is continued on page 43 inside the YEP where it is headed "150 ndiores ea doluptiae dolore, sgm". Now unless that is Italian (which it does not look to be) then it's just gibberish to me. :roll:

sparky415

Post by sparky415 »

72 pence!!! Christ on a Bike! I thouht it was 25 p. To be fair, it isn't worth 25 p either. I should think that their readership will continue in its downward spiral. I do not actually know a single person who buys it these days, I guess the readers will be the older generation that get it because they always have. Will it see the year out?
Come on Leeds United!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I don't know if it is a printing error but I suspect that it surely must be. There is a review on page 54 of the YEP today (Jan 29 2016) of Leeds United's FA Cup match away tomorrow to Bolton. The betting is given and states "Match odds: Home win - 2/1; draw - 5/2; away win - 17/1" (put in bold by me for emphasis). Phil Hay the YEP match reviewer thinks Leeds will win as also do 3 of 6 Leeds fans on page 53 (the other 3 think it will be a draw). Now I'm not a betting person but at 17/1 I may break my habit ;).

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

Having read about the plans for Leeds Women's Day the Yorkshire Post appears to say Councillor Judith Blake was the first woman ever to lead Leeds City Council. I learnt some time ago from this site that 'during the Second World War, Jessie Beatrice Kitson was elected Lord Mayor of Leeds (the first woman to be so) because the newly-elected man in the job fell down dead. She was well-known locally as a magistrate and Poor Law Guardian, in addition to many other charitable works'

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I may be wrong but isn't Lord Mayor a ceremonial position held for just a year and is unlikely to be Leader of the Council who is the chosen representative of the party with most elected Councillors. Both are effectively elected twice firstly by the electorate and then by the elected Councillors although in the case of the leader it is only the Councillors of the ruling party/parties.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

In a 'Times Past' feature on page 15 of the YEP today (March 5 2016) there is a photo showing shop fronts stated to be on "Boar Lane, Leeds" that was taken "some time during the 1950s". The photo is credited to have been "taken from the book Nostalgic Leeds: The Golden Years 1900s-1980s". I am uncertain, which is why I am asking here, but the photo does look a lot like one of a row of shops that were demolished in the 1960s to make way for the Inner Ring Road. I recall seeing a photo in Secret Leeds of those shops that were on New Briggate where that becomes North Street. It may be that 'Boar Lane' is correct, but if it is wrong then it would however seem not to be the fault of the YEP but the author of the book.

I wonder if anyone can definitely identify the location? Being unsure of copyright laws I have not scanned and copied the photo.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

It is on Leodis tagged as New briggate in 1967.
It was an obvious mistake there is no gradient on Boar Lane.
Given the YEP track record on local history I doubt the author is at fault
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

TABBYCAT

Post by TABBYCAT »

Would concur with all that re location and the Anglia van in the picture dates it to at least 1960 at the earliest.