Yorkshire Evening Post

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Yorkshire Evening Post

Post by Leodian »

Thanks buffaloskinner :). I am reluctant to photograph and then reproduce here the image that is in the YEP newspaper as I don't know what the copyright law is and I would not want to put the Secret Leeds website to any risk.

Thanks also warringtonrhino :). The photo in the YEP is unfortunately not that you have reproduced. I have tried searching the YEP website but if the image in the YEP newspaper is also in the website I have been unable to find it.

Hopefully someone that reads the YEP newspaper (surely it's not just me! ;) ) will know and be able to confirm (or deny) that the newspaper image does not show Bridgewater Place.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

warringtonrhino

Post by warringtonrhino »

Hi Leodian, you are right to be suspicious of copyright law man trap.
The best professional advice I have ever been given, in similar circumstances.
If a photograph you copy is made available to the general public, then permission is needed.
If it is available to a limited number of viewers, then permission is not required.
I was told that using a photograph in a presentation (limited audience) or in an email, is OK.
What's the chance of the copywriter holder, finding out? and would it be economically viable for them to pursue you through the courts?
I was also told that publishing a photograph of a newspaper may require permission, publishing a photograph of a room with a table with the newspaper on it, is OK. :? :? :? How often do you see a photograph which includes a poster, a poster has copyright :)
I don't think that laws are meant to be understood by the minions, they are devised to make money for the lawyers etc.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

warringtonrhino wrote:I only have the online version which doesn't have page numbers.
If this is the photograph, it is Bridgewater place.
The university, and town hall are In the photograph and if you draw the sight lines on a map it has to be Bridgewater Place building.
My guess is the photo was taken from the top of the South Leeds Academy,
with a telephoto lens so that the chimneys of Holbeck are included in the foreground.
South Leeds Academy? Is that what was Cockburn and before that West Leeds (Boys?) High on Gypsy Lane? It is certainly foreshortened, the building appearing to be directly behind Bridgewater is the Infirmary's A&E building. The building to the far right is City House before the recladding, now almost complete, probably making it over 12 months old.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

jim

Post by jim »

Not West Leeds (boys) tyke bhoy. That was on Whingate, Armley, near its junction with Armley Town Street. I was a pupil there from 1952=56.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Thanks for the clarification Warrington Rhino. It's definitely not a view from Whingate Junction. You are looking at the east and South sided of BP with the east parallel to Victoria Road. You can also see between BP and City House. So it was taken from the South East a few degrees to rhe east of a straight line southward continuing the line of Victoria Road. It is probably further east of Cockburn. Middleton perhaps.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

warringtonrhino

This is my understanding of the photograph geometry
I tried to send individual photos of the 5 key buildings but the software only let me attach 2 of them?
The are from left to right, The university, the town hall, Bridgewater Place and the chimneys in Holbeck
The magenta lines indicate if they are relatively left or right on the photograph
Attachments
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (121.46 KiB) Viewed 6888 times

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

warringtonrhino wrote:This is my understanding of the photograph geometry
I tried to send individual photos of the 5 key buildings but the software only let me attach 2 of them?
The are from left to right, The university, the town hall, Bridgewater Place and the chimneys in Holbeck
The magenta lines indicate if they are relatively left or right on the photograph
Thanks WR, I think that's pretty much the line of view, although we might reignite a previous debate on here about boundaries of Holbeck, Hunslet Beeston, Bell Isle and Middleton. I think the chimney's are houses off Burton Avenue mainly the Longroyds that border on what used to be Hunslet Moor.

There is also another thread on here about the viewpoint of another photo with Bridgewater towards tha back. That we eventually proved was taken from the Airdale area of Castleford. I think in this case though we can assume Middleton Ring Road or perhaps Town Street as the furthest away it could have been taken from

warringtonrhino

I think the map clearly shows where the chimneys are, sorry I got the name of the borough wrong . ;)

hyperion3

Post by hyperion3 »

So its not taken from one of the two tower blocks near the old Dewsbury Road Police Station Then.

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Hyperion, not many chimneys between Crescent Grange and Bridgewater Place

BP as viewed from Cas per my pevious referenc http://secretleeds.com/download/file.php?id=4458 from http://www.secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?t=2355