Craven Dairies

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

Knocked a stud wall out in the attic today and found Craven Dairies half pint milk bottle in the void.A quick web search suggests a forerunner of Asda but not much more. Anybody have any other info?

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Not really relevant but a verse we sung in the playground went thusly:Oh for a life on the open prairiesMilking cows from the Craven DairiesIt's fantasticIt's elasticSo much better than milking plastic.Ho hum.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

LOL

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Geordie-exile wrote: Not really relevant but a verse we sung in the playground went thusly:Oh for a life on the open prairiesMilking cows from the Craven DairiesIt's fantasticIt's elasticSo much better than milking plastic.Ho hum. Even more irrelevant, but your verse reminded me of a bit of nonsense that an old (in more ways than one now) friend of mine in Pudsey used to recite:-Mary had an iron cowShe milked it with a spanner.The milk came out in shilling tins,She flogged 'em for a tanner.I vaguely remember Craven Dairies. Our milkman in Calverley used to deliver milk originating at West Marton Dairies. I suppose this firm, being in Craven, may have combined with Craven Dairies to become Associated Dairies, forerunner of ASDA.Associated Dairies & Farm Stores used to have its HQ on Kirkstall Rd about opposite YTV. It was an old building, so it was tarted up with tiles on its frontage, but all the old smoke-blackened brickwork was visible on the sides and through the wide front vehicle entrance. My dad used to refer to it as "Queen Ann front, Mary-Ann back".
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Lovely Gent always in a white caot and flat cap, steering his Craven Dairies electric hand cart, never missing a day in my (then) young memory - Mr Pickersgill by name - and those lovely little bottle of orange juice too!

Ppaul_l

Re: Craven Dairies

Post by Ppaul_l »

Craven Dairies was a Dairy that delivered milk in the Leeds area and they owned Craven House on Kirkstall Road opposite YTV. I'm quite sure it was taken over by Associated Dairies as my sister was a secretary working there back then.