MORRISONS IN LEEDS CENTRE - FIRST STORE

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

I have very fond memories of the first Morrisons "supermarket" in the city centre and a great shop it was too. No prizes, but does anyone else remember it - I can see it now in my minds eye, but then I am VERY old !!??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

liits

Post by liits »

Wasn't it beside [or near] the bus staion on Vicar Lane?

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

liits wrote: Wasn't it beside [or near] the bus staion on Vicar Lane? Well - bless my soul - spot on from the first competitor - well done liits It was at the other end of the modern block of buildings, of which Vicar Lane Bus Station was nearest to Eastgate/Headrow.Morrisons was a small shop adjacent to the narrow road which still runs from Vicar Lane to Edward Street, just the City side of the Templar pub.    When Morrisons moved out the shop was bought by an Asian entrepeneur who was cheeky enough to reverse the plastic name and alter it slightly to read "MIRRSONS." Incidentally, when I had relatives I had two lots in Finchley/Swiss Cottage and was a frequent childhood visitor there, even during the blitz when I can remember how sinister the barrage balloons looked as they hovered over the area. One aunt lived in Fairfax Road near the John Barnes store, and two others in Fellows Road near Swiss Cottage. Sorry to wander off the topic, but I was interested to see that you live around there.Your prize for getting the quiz answer correct is a book of five shilling MIRRSONS vouchers - enjoy !!
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

liits

Post by liits »

I live a bit further up the hill, Hampstead Village, don't you know! [snotty bunch of *******]. Fellows Road is still there, though probably much changed from when you knew it. The south side being comprised of the “Bray Estate” a 1960’s monstrosity.While it’s not the closest, the easiest supermarket to get to [from Hampstead] is Morrisons, no less, so I’ll be able to spend my five shilling in there! Thanks.

Susanb

Re: MORRISONS IN LEEDS CENTRE - FIRST STORE

Post by Susanb »

I remember it well. My dad was the manager for many years until it moved to the Merrion centre