Shooting in June 1966

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Misc

Post by Misc »

Does anybody remember the fatal shooting of a female postal assistant on Cross Heath Grove in Beeston? I believe it was on June 9, 1966.All the internet has shown me is an entry from Hansard in 1967 (but I am not particularly skilled at searching).Will be seeing what I can find out at the library but wondered if it rang a bell with anybody here.    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

You could go check the YEP's from around that date in the central library. You should find all the info in there.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Misc,The entry from Hansard, on the internet, is wrong. The murder took place at the Post Office at Bridge End (Leeds Bridge) at 3.20pm on 9th June 1966. A man entered the post office with a gun and fired shots at the sub-postmaster and his assistant. The assistant was killed and the sub-postmaster was seriously injured, he later made a complete recovery. The murderer fled with £92 in cash. The murder remains undetected.So far as relates to Cross Heath Grove in the (supposed) Hansard entry on the internet, I can only think that the deceased may have lived in Cross Heath Grove and a mistake has been made regarding the actual location of the offence.Ian.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Do you know exactly where this post office on Bridge end was?    
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

iansmithofotley wrote: Hi Misc,The entry from Hansard, on the internet, is wrong. The murder took place at the Post Office at Bridge End (Leeds Bridge) at 3.20pm on 9th June 1966. A man entered the post office with a gun and fired shots at the sub-postmaster and his assistant. The assistant was killed and the sub-postmaster was seriously injured, he later made a complete recovery. The murderer fled with £92 in cash. The murder remains undetected.So far as relates to Cross Heath Grove in the (supposed) Hansard entry on the internet, I can only think that the deceased may have lived in Cross Heath Grove and a mistake has been made regarding the actual location of the offence.Ian. That is quite at odds with my memory of events - unless there was more than one such hold-up at Bridge End.The post Master was a marvelous and very traditional gentleman, complete with his distinguishing monacle, one Mr Flint, formerly Post Master at Foundry Lane on York Road from where I knew him. As I recall the event was widely reported and Mr Flint was fataly wounded during the raid.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

My brother was working in Leathley Road at the timeand remembers the police stopping and searching trams and buseswhen he was returning towards Leeds city centre.As reported the murder remains unsolved
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

drapesy wrote: Do you know exactly where this post office on Bridge end was?     This map shows the location, on the parade of shops on the left hand corner.
Attachments
__TFMF_fftxir55kj132fngxdkp3f55_a730c536-4229-4608-8f2b-6890807dcf7b_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_fftxir55kj132fngxdkp3f55_a730c536-4229-4608-8f2b-6890807dcf7b_0_main.jpg (144.83 KiB) Viewed 3119 times

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

dogduke wrote: My brother was working in Leathley Road at the timeand remembers the police stopping and searching trams and buseswhen he was returning towards Leeds city centre.As reported the murder remains unsolved By 'eck them trams were running late!!
there are 10 types of people in the world. Those that understand ternary, those that don't and those that think this a joke about the binary system.

drapesy

Post by drapesy »

Tasa wrote: drapesy wrote: Do you know exactly where this post office on Bridge end was?     This map shows the location, on the parade of shops on the left hand corner. Thanks for that

Misc

Post by Misc »

Thanks all!That makes much more sense, I was shocked at the thought of a shooting in sleepy old Cross Heath Grove! (I live there meself and was just nosying at planning applications).It's very sad that someone was killed in this robbery but makes much more sense that it occured in a post office. I wonder if DNA etc will enable the case to be solved after all these years? It seems wrong that someone can go unpunished for such a serious crime.Re. the post office location, I often look at the upper windows of that building and the one next to it, I bet there are thousands of pieces of the past up there, looks as though nobody's been up there in years.