kango

Post by kango »

The Leodis one for comparison.
Attachments
2006124_160445.jpg
2006124_160445.jpg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 2249 times

kango

Post by kango »

The three courses of light coloured brickwork seen in the Leodis photo are also missing, something that would take a near complete rebuild to achieve and the triangles are much flatter than the sharply angled ones in the Leodis photo, the plinths they sit on are also different.                
Attachments
CentralLondonSAD10.jpg
CentralLondonSAD10.jpg (35.09 KiB) Viewed 2249 times

Caron

Post by Caron »

LCC London County Council.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote: Sorry Black Prince,I should have shared the info with you all.I think,that this is Central London Sick Asylum District Colinwood hospital.Linkhttp://www.workhouses.org.uk/CentralLondonSAD/These are recent(2005)pictures I think.The frontage is rather grand and has the distinctive frames above the windows.The side elevation is the scene of the photo but external plumbing seems to be addded since the photo obscuring the view.There was a change of management in 1930 to LCC(?) which might have beeen marked by this group photo.I did intentionally search for this and it came up pretty quickly by just searching for old hospital photos. Thanks for sharing the link dogduke.I agree the Colinwood Hospital is very similar in style to the unknown picture but the finer details of the brickwork & stonework ( as noted by Kango) are different. Maybe its still a case of close but no cigar! I could imagine LCC causing a mixup between Leeds & London. The unknown photo was taken by the Beryl of York so its more likely to be a Yorkshire hospital.    
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Re: Unidentified Hospital Photo on Leodis.

Post by blackprince »

I thought it was worth taking another look at this photo which still appears in the "Can you Help" section of Leodis.
There are now 36 comments under the photo. see http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... SPLAY=FULLThe photo is signed Beryl of York and a relative of the photographer narrowed down the timeframe to 1927-1931 and the area is likely to be Yorkshire (but not necessarily Leeds although it was originally labelled "Cookridge Hospital , Leeds" - which is known to be incorrect).
Dogduke thought he had nailed this when he identified it as the Central London Sick Asylum District , Middlesex , later renamed Colindale Hospital , near Hendon. There are more photos here http://www.workhouses.org.uk/CentralLondonSAD/. Some in colour which show that the architect used some very similar decorative features to the Leodis building.
The architects were a firm called "Giles , Gough and Trollope " with offices in Charing Cross London. In the late Victorian early Edwardian period 1880- 1910, these architects designed a number of large Workhouses and Asylums across the country ( eg Wales , Somerset , Staffordshire ). Many of these workhouses later became hospitals: military hospitals during WW1 , or in the 1920's when workhouses were abolished some became mental hospitals.
Looking at photos of hospitals designed by Messers Giles, Gough, Trollope, a number of their buildings built around 1900 use very similar architectural features (namely distinctive pointed/ triangular pediments above windows and horizontal bands of paler brickwork found in the Leodis photo and the Colindale Hospital).

A few examples are Hammersmith Workhouse 1903
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Hammersmith/

Bethnal Green Military Hospital 1900
https://yooniqimages.com/images/detail/ ... n-hospital

St Mary's Hospital Burghill Hereford
c.1900 addl ward wings
I am not suggesting any of these are an exact match for the Leodis hospital photo but it would be very interesting to know whether there are any workhouses, asylums or hospitals in Yorkshire designed by Messrs Giles, Gough and Trollope.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Haven't got a clue which hospital it may be but I do know St Mary's Hospital, Burghill, Hereford from the 60's when I lived in Hereford. I had a 3x great grandfather who died there. It was also Hereford where I joined the Army.
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

buffaloskinner wrote:Haven't got a clue which hospital it may be but I do know St Mary's Hospital, Burghill, Hereford from the 60's when I lived in Hereford. I had a 3x great grandfather who died there. It was also Hereford where I joined the Army.
Hi BS, There's lots of information about this hospital online. I didn't include a photo because it has the lines of pale bricks but not the pointed pediments over the windows. It looks as though some of the wards have been converted to flats and the brickwork looks as good as new even though it is over 100 years old.
-BP