Unidentified Hospital Photo on Leodis.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I have been interested in the unidentified hospital photo ( No 2 in the Can You Help section of Leodis).http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI would have thought someone could id the building from the very distinctive architectural features in the photo. ( Which are described by one of the commenters as follows "The one above is brick built and shows three lines of horizontal decoration made up of one or three courses of white glazed bricks. Over each of the windows and doors there is a plinth, supporting a decorated and recessed "A-Frame". None of the suggestions made appear to stand up to scrutiny. The date of the photo based on the clothing has been suggested as anything between the end of the First World War through to the early 1950s. The two men standing extreme right and left are wearing uniforms similar to those worn by convalescent soldiers in the first war. Bearing in mind that this could be a hospital, sanitorium, or convalescent home or even a building used as a temporary war hospital, can the collective observational and forensic archeological skills of Secret Leeds be brought to bear on this puzzle?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

blackprince wrote: I have been interested in the unidentified hospital photo ( No 2 in the Can You Help section of Leodis).http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI would have thought someone could id the building from the very distinctive architectural features in the photo. ( Which are described by one of the commenters as follows "The one above is brick built and shows three lines of horizontal decoration made up of one or three courses of white glazed bricks. Over each of the windows and doors there is a plinth, supporting a decorated and recessed "A-Frame". None of the suggestions made appear to stand up to scrutiny. The date of the photo based on the clothing has been suggested as anything between the end of the First World War through to the early 1950s. The two men standing extreme right and left are wearing uniforms similar to those worn by convalescent soldiers in the first war. Bearing in mind that this could be a hospital, sanitorium, or convalescent home or even a building used as a temporary war hospital, can the collective observational and forensic archeological skills of Secret Leeds be brought to bear on this puzzle? Eagle eyed observers will notice that there is some writing on the Leodis photo . I thought I could read the letters "2 n g h" on the bottom right of the photo which could have been "2nd Northern General Hospital" - a WW2 Hospital at Becketts Park. I sent this theory to Leodis but received the following reply ." have looked at the image carefully in Adobe Photoshop and it actually has the name of the photographer in the bottom right-hand corner. The lettering is elaborate and embossed and reads 'Beryl', then underneath, 'York'. I think this is is what you have observed as '2 n g h' on the much lower resolution image on the website. I found the photographer in a 1930s directory of the North and East Ridings of Yorkshire - Beryl photography, proprietor Mrs A. E. Hill at number 18 Blossom Street, York. It makes us doubt that it is actually a building in Leeds, although someone has written on the back of the original photograph, 'Cookridge Hospital, Leeds. 1920s/30s?' I had a look at 'Imagine York', a website similar to ours and checked their images using 'hospital' as a keyword, but no luck.But thank you anyway for your help. It's a pity because I really thought we had got the answer there!"
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I came across an old photo of Horton Hospital in Bradford taken in 1910 which has similar windows to those on the Leodis photo. The ground floor windows on the right of the photo are similar in style but not an exact match. The glazing bars on the large sash windows are also similar. There also appears to be a line of white brickwork at the top of the windows ( but not above as in the Leodis example). So close but no cigar!I assume from this that the unknown hospital in the Leodis photo was built at around the same time and in similar style to the Horton hospital building. Also note that the Victorians used a variety of window styles in the same building. In the Bradford photo the ground and first floor have windows are topped with the classical triangular feature but windows higher in the building appear to be arched and other windows in the same building are simple rectangles.The Bradford Hospital photo is interesting in its own right because it appears to show the fire brigade practising a casualty evacuation.    
Attachments
__TFMF_0uuquy451fytiuah315tb22f_19aa1c46-3cc6-4e89-b16d-d298a6263a42_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_0uuquy451fytiuah315tb22f_19aa1c46-3cc6-4e89-b16d-d298a6263a42_0_main.jpg (119.6 KiB) Viewed 2906 times

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

I think I have cracked it.Just going to post on Leodis via the laptop,not mastered it on thiz new fangled tablet thingy.And its NOT Leeds !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

blackprince wrote: I have been interested in the unidentified hospital photo ( No 2 in the Can You Help section of Leodis).http://www.leodis.net/display.aspx?reso ... PLAY=FULLI would have thought someone could id the building from the very distinctive architectural features in the photo. ( Which are described by one of the commenters as follows "The one above is brick built and shows three lines of horizontal decoration made up of one or three courses of white glazed bricks. Over each of the windows and doors there is a plinth, supporting a decorated and recessed "A-Frame". None of the suggestions made appear to stand up to scrutiny. The date of the photo based on the clothing has been suggested as anything between the end of the First World War through to the early 1950s. The two men standing extreme right and left are wearing uniforms similar to those worn by convalescent soldiers in the first war. Bearing in mind that this could be a hospital, sanitorium, or convalescent home or even a building used as a temporary war hospital, can the collective observational and forensic archeological skills of Secret Leeds be brought to bear on this puzzle?     

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote: I think I have cracked it.Just going to post on Leodis via the laptop,not mastered it on thiz new fangled tablet thingy.And its NOT Leeds ! Hi dogduke, Just checked on Leodis & they haven't posted your comment yet. Look forward to seeing your solution.

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

With moderating, considering comments-v- image etc, and summer hols these can take weeks in fairness to Leeds Library.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Sorry Black Prince,I should have shared the info with you all.I think,that this is Central London Sick Asylum District Colinwood hospital.Linkhttp://www.workhouses.org.uk/CentralLondonSAD/These are recent(2005)pictures I think.The frontage is rather grand and has the distinctive frames above the windows.The side elevation is the scene of the photo but external plumbing seems to be addded since the photo obscuring the view.There was a change of management in 1930 to LCC(?) which might have beeen marked by this group photo.I did intentionally search for this and it came up pretty quickly by just searching for old hospital photos.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

LS1

Post by LS1 »

dogduke, which pic on the weblink you posted do you think is the one most likely to be the place?Looking on some of the photo's it looks like the top of the triangular ground floor windows are similar though they have an alternate light dark brickwork going from the top to the bottom of them which the Leodis pic doesn't have.

kango

Post by kango »

Also the tops of the windows are a different shape under the triangles.They are semi rounded with a brick arch (and are composed of one smaller window with a larger one underneath) with no window surround on the Leodis photo, but are squared off with a stone block surround and one large window only on the suggested photo (above)To the right of the Leodis photo the vertical edge before the fall-back is made of brick whereas the on the one above the vertical edge is stoneworkthe window spacings also appear different.The photo above was taken in 1910 the Leodis one roughly ten years later so I don't think the structure would have changed radically in that period yet in all honesty they look to be two totally different buildings,Just My opinion for what its worth.Kango.            
Attachments
CentralLondonSAD10.jpg
CentralLondonSAD10.jpg (60.02 KiB) Viewed 2914 times