The hidden world of Filey Butlins holiday camp

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Trojan

Post by Trojan »

[quotenick="raveydavey"]Up to this point we'd always been a Pontins family and this proved to be our only excusion to the "red" side of Billy Butlin. /quote]Pontins at Morecambe is a prison now I believe
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

Phill_dvsn wrote: I'm sure there will be a few secret Leeds guys and gals who remember having a holiday at Butlins in Filey. It was the largest Butlins holiday camp but closed in 1983. Today there is no trace of the place, but over the road to the former camp are the railway station remains, despite it been closed since 1977.Search a little bit harder in the undergrowth and you will find an old abandoned subway that was used by a road train to transport passengers and there luggage to the camp.Inside are a few relics from the Holiday camp. Although i'm not exactly sure what they are.The piccies and history of the place are here http://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn ... 07/detail/     Phil,those orange things,with seats in the middle,look like the overhead two seater cable cars,i remember them well,as they were always breaking down,leaving us sat up there for hours!
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

volvojack

Re: The hidden world of Filey Butlins holiday camp

Post by volvojack »

Brilliant to read these old memories of Butlins.

My Pal and I went to Skegness about 1960 and in those days it was quite an adventure. sat in the "Pig And Whistle" bar drinking draught double Diamond in leiu of Tetley's, desperate to sleep the night with some girl. During the evening a girl from Beeston who worked at Moorhouses jam factory came annd sat with us. I gave her the hard word, acting all butch "We are looking for girls to sleep the night" and shortly she was gone. end of the evening we are still on our own when suddenly she is back again "Ready when you are"
I can't believe it and make an excuse to get my pals key and off we go back to the chalet. a bit of cuddling and kissing and into bed. the quantity of draugt D.D. plus the nerves get the better of me and it is not long before i am asleep. In the morning i am wide awake but she now has reconsidered and is off. Two weeks go by and we two virgins return to Leeds telling everyone who is interested how it is crawling with crumpet down at Skegness.....

jma

Post by jma »

I've never been to Butlin's at Filey or anywhere else but in 1953, we had a holiday under canvass at Ingoldmells, when the Lincolnshire coast was still recovering from the floods. We weren't far from Butlin's, Skegness, and I remember seeing people out on their "sociable" cycles where the two riders sat side-by-side.

I've googled this picture from Butlin's at Clackton.
2696545280_457cce92f3_z.jpg
2696545280_457cce92f3_z.jpg (87.38 KiB) Viewed 2385 times
They can't all be waving to volvojack ;)

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]I've never been to Butlin's at Filey or anywhere else but in 1953, we had a holiday under canvass at Ingoldmells, when the Lincolnshire coast was still recovering from the floods. We weren't far from Butlin's, Skegness, and I remember seeing people out on their "sociable" cycles where the two riders sat side-by-side.

I've googled this picture from Butlin's at Clackton.
2696545280_457cce92f3_z.jpg
They can't all be waving to volvojack.

You are so cruel,
The girls did wave at at us but unfortuantly it was mainly by by.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This should keep you quiet for hours Jack

http://www.butlinsmemories.com/filey/
Attachments
Butlins Filey 08.jpg
Butlins Filey 08.jpg (170.53 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[buffaloskinner"]This should keep you quiet for hours Jack

Thanks for that,
strange i don't see any armed guards

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

How ironic is this in todays Daily Mail?

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... sage-field
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

"buffaloskinner"]How ironic is this in todays Daily Mail?

Thank you Buffalo for great pictures,

Wonder if that girl probably(Granny Now) is featured in any of those pictures)