leeds united

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
String o' beads

Re: leeds united

Post by String o' beads »

volvojack wrote:Thats so true Black Prince.
Some of us of a certain age will remember Don Revies frantic bid to sign Alan Ball only to have him rejected after a Medical revealed a hole in the heart condition. (Turned out it was only a Polo Mint in his Pyjama breast pocket)
Wasn't that Asa Hartford?

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Yes Geordie Exile it was WBA and Scotland player Asa Hartford
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

You are 100% correct, its my mind playing me up. It was rumoured Don Revie was meeting one of Alan Balls relatives on the Penines where i understand brown envelopes change hands when he was at Blackpool but in the long run Bally went to Everton.
United certainly missed a couple of good 'uns.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Football Season coming to a climax with United as per usual fighting desperately not to get Promoted. Over 34,000, Fans turned out on Saturday at Elland Road only to see them draw. That crowd was larger than six of the nine games in the Premiership including a London derby Tottenham v Arsenal. The Talisman New Zealander Chris Woods, Top scorer in this Division is likely to be poached away during the close season and maybe one or two others.
It's the Fans i feel sorry for

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

I think you are being optimistic in the fact that anyone wouldd want to poach any of the Leeds players, Woods aside. Leeds have almost certainly punched above their weight this season mainly due to the goal contribution of Woods. Did he score the 96th minute equaliser against Norwich? He certainly rescued a point at Newcastle a couple of weeks back. There is the additional problem of a lack of stability in the manager's position caused by a board controlled by someone who seems to lack any credibility.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="tyke bhoy"]I think you are being optimistic in the fact that anyone wouldd want to poach any of the Leeds players, Woods aside. Leeds have almost certainly punched above their weight this season mainly due to the goal contribution of Woods. Did he score the 96th minute equaliser against Norwich? He certainly rescued a point at Newcastle a couple of weeks back. There is the additional problem of a lack of stability in the manager's position caused by a board controlled by someone who seems to lack any credibility.

On reflection i think you are right, apart from Woods,who will be possibly double his wages somewhere else ( big centre forwards are few and far between) the rest of them by and large are mediocre.
There seems to be some sort of jinx on Leeds United. My brother and I used to go in the boy,s pen for 3d. on what is now the Geldard Road end when Football resumed after the War 1947, apart from the short run of success under Don Revie, Bremner Hunter and co. in an era where they threw away more chances than they took. A brief spell again in the 80 / 90's when they won the last Division 1 Title before it became the Premier League.

Your last sentence certainly rings true, I have just been on the United website to look at the ground layout to check the name of the Stand was correct. The page that came up said All ticket prices will be Frozen foe Season 2013 to 2014.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Just came across a couple of rare gems for United fans. I was on Youtube and suddenly came across two matches v. Man United at Elland Road. One when they drew 0. 0. and one where they slugged Manchester U. 5. 1. Interesting things to look out for are faces of spectators and some close ups of police officers as in those days the camera seemed to show more close ups
This was 1973 and 75 and the attendances were usually in the high 40,000s mainly standing.

Close by on the same Youtube page you can see the two legged European Cup semifinal against the mighty Barcelona, Johan Cryueff and all

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Forgot also that on the same Youtube page is the United 7- 0 taking apart of Southampton where the team kept the ball for minutes on end "Showboating" and a full house Elland Road simply lapping it up.

MiggyBill

Post by MiggyBill »

volvojack wrote:You are 100% correct, its my mind playing me up. It was rumoured Don Revie was meeting one of Alan Balls relatives on the Penines where i understand brown envelopes change hands when he was at Blackpool but in the long run Bally went to Everton.
United certainly missed a couple of good 'uns.
If we had have got Alan Ball there might not have been a Billy Bremner. I'm glad we got Billy.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

I fully agree Bill, for although Alan Ball was very good, Billy B.was a 90 minute man who could drag up the whole team if they were having a bad game.
Do think they would have been a good combination at Elland Rd. although we had Bremner has a young lad in 1959 and ALan Ball did not go to Everton until after the '66 World Cup.