Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Happy Valley

Re: Leeds on screen

Post by Happy Valley »

I took my youngest to see the Get Santa movie last night. Wortley recreation ground features in it quite a bit. I think it might be the disused railway curve at Wortley that is in the trailer on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2EFmDpNqd8

A very funny and heart warming Christmas movie filmed mostly in Leeds, definitely one I will be buying when it comes out on DVD.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Just watching the new DCI Banks - can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know what building they are using as the Police HQ?
It looks a bit like the Poly / Met / Beckett Uni perhaps?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

j.c.d.

Post by j.c.d. »

raveydavey wrote:Just watching the new DCI Banks - can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know what building they are using as the Police HQ?
I also wondered where that modern looking building was, that episode last night in my opinion was awfully weak.
"Illegal migrants and Slave labour" seems to be the favourite subject by T.V. writers these days.

Hope next weeks episode is better.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I too wondered about the building used for the police station. After a bit of research on t'internet it appears that the 1960s building used for the exterior shots is Collonade House , Sunbridge Rd, Bradford.

http://www.mazecroftinvestments.com/lis ... d-bradford
Last edited by blackprince on Fri 13 Mar, 2015 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

j.c.d. wrote:
raveydavey wrote:Just watching the new DCI Banks - can anyone put me out of my misery and let me know what building they are using as the Police HQ?
I also wondered where that modern looking building was, that episode last night in my opinion was awfully weak.
"Illegal migrants and Slave labour" seems to be the favourite subject by T.V. writers these days.

Hope next weeks episode is better.
I agree with you immigrant labour and modern slavery is a recurring theme on TV shows these days. It's also a common theme in the Scandinavian crime series , like Wallander.
Inspector Banks is not written specifically for TV. It's based on a series of crime novels. The author, Peter Robinson, was born in Armley and went to West Leeds High School. A candidate for the Famous Sons of Leeds thread maybe?
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Just watched DCI Banks

The bungalow which set on fire is here http://goo.gl/maps/TrmCz behind is the railway bridge, Kellingley Colliery and Ferrybridge Power Station
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

On page 10 of the Yorkshire Evening Post of March 14 2015 it reports "Chapel Allerton Hospital has been used as a set for the filming of ITV's DCI Banks series...Transforming into the fictional St Hilda's Hospital".
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Long time ago, but...

In the late 1950's, early 1960's, I remember them filming several burning terraced houses. I never came across the film, although I have wondered ever since which film it was for.

The terraced houses were in the process of being demolished and were at the junction of Tong Road, Wellington Road and Copley Hill, to the north of Wellington Road. This was to the rear of the Crown pub is or perhaps was(?). I suspected it might have been a war film.

jim

Post by jim »

Probably "Billy Liar", original story Keith Waterhouse.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

jim wrote:Probably "Billy Liar", original story Keith Waterhouse.
I will pay more attention, next time it is on - thanks!