Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Karaokeloverjen

Post by Karaokeloverjen »

Kay Mellor did a programme on ITV called 'Just Us' with 2 families in it, it was a children's drama where she was the mum with 3 'common' lads and she got it together with a 'posh' bloke and his three daughters. There was filming done on Larkhill Road behind the Highwood pub on the Brackenwood estate (off Lidgett Lane, near Allerton Grange School). I remember watching it being dead excited because it was just down from my house. Easily impressed I guess

wickedwitch

Post by wickedwitch »

I was an extra on Frost and a few other programmes (Chiller, Downwardly Mobile, This is Personal - Hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper) filmed around Leeds.Frost's police station was actually an old building at the back of YTV studios on Burley Road. They had it all kitted out. I filmed in the CID office but it had everything - Mullett's office, front office, canteen etc.We also filmed out at Stockeld Park near Wetherby for the episode Quarry where hunt saboteurs were being bumped off. Haven't done any extra work for nearly ten years now but it was good fun at the time.

tasha

Post by tasha »

I heard that parts of A Clockwork Orange were filmed around Leeds Uni, more specifically the bizaare-looking postmodern monstrosity that is the Roger Stevens building. Has anyone else heard this, or knows what part of the film features it?

munki

Post by munki »

I have heard that most of the filming was done in Leeds (Kubrick refused to film in America unless exterior films absolutely demanded it - so the interior of The Overlook Hotel in The Shining is actually his own house in Hemel Hempstead!). The buildings around Chancellor Court at the University are the apartments where Alex lives. I have also heard that the scenes where the droogs beat up the old tramp in the subway were filmed in the (now closed off) subway just outside the north entrance of the Merrion Centre, though no one has confirmed this. Does anyone know?
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

Letty

Post by Letty »

The fish and chip shop at the top of Butcher hill? Fat Friends? They have good fish and chips! Been up for a fish butty occasionally for lunch. TOF filmed on the Hawksworth Estate a couple of years back. They had signs all over the place an arrow with TOF on them.

LS10

Post by LS10 »

Hi does anyone remember Harry's Game. It starred Derek Thompson (Casualty's Charlie) it is about an undercover soldier in Belfast.If I remember correctly it was filmed in the early 80's and they used the old Hawthorn Davey Sulzer Factory (now demolished) at the bottom of Dewsbury Road for scenes of inside the army base and some street scenes were shot at the bottom of Domestic Street in Holbeck where they painted up some old back to backs to look like Belfast.

ryouga

Post by ryouga »

The excellent films Tina Takes A Break and Tina Goes Shopping were filmed round the Lincoln Green area in Leeds. The director Penny Woolcock used the estates residents and kids instead of actors. They are powerful films and show that in addition to Leeds recent surge of financial prosperity there is a flip side underclass.Recommended if you haven't seen them.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

LS10 wrote: Hi does anyone remember Harry's Game. It starred Derek Thompson (Casualty's Charlie) it is about an undercover soldier in Belfast.If I remember correctly it was filmed in the early 80's and they used the old Hawthorn Davey Sulzer Factory (now demolished) at the bottom of Dewsbury Road for scenes of inside the army base and some street scenes were shot at the bottom of Domestic Street in Holbeck where they painted up some old back to backs to look like Belfast. Watched him in Long Good Friday last night. Anyone remember that drama with Kay Mellor in "A Good Theif?" They used the old Bankrupt Trading jeans ship facade and painted it up to look like a department store called Brown and Jacksons. Down that filthy arcade with the 4 cousins cafe. It hasn't been touched since, 5 years later.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Letty

Post by Letty »

oh and what about the Barbara taylor bradford thing where they used Lewis's as Harte's? too sentimental for me now tho.

simon2710

Post by simon2710 »

Emmerdale (In Victoria Quarters) and the upcoming drama "Diamond Geezer 2" (I think it's called this but not too sure!). "Diamond Geezer 2!" was filmed around Leeds because the director etc. wanted the city to be London. Harewood House is playing the part of Buckingham Palace.
Simon -H-