Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Si
PostsCOLON 4480
JoinedCOLON Wed 10 Oct, 2007 7:22 am
LocationCOLON Otley

Postby Si » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 5:16 pm

raveydavey wrote:
Popping back to DCI Banks, the school was indeed St Theresa's (formerly St Kevins) on Barwick Road.

The opening sequence saw the lad run up from South Parkway, around some houses and come out by the flats at the bottom of Boggart Hill Drive where the taxi caught up with him - so he'd clearly run some way...(still in Seacroft, but right on the opposite side).

Not sure where his home was filmed though?

It was behind the parade of shops on the Weston Estate in Otley. You could see the Chevin in the background.
raveydavey
PostsCOLON 2886
JoinedCOLON Thu 22 Mar, 2007 3:59 pm
LocationCOLON The Far East (of Leeds...)
CONTACTCOLON

Postby raveydavey » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 8:39 pm

Si wrote:
raveydavey wrote:
Popping back to DCI Banks, the school was indeed St Theresa's (formerly St Kevins) on Barwick Road.

The opening sequence saw the lad run up from South Parkway, around some houses and come out by the flats at the bottom of Boggart Hill Drive where the taxi caught up with him - so he'd clearly run some way...(still in Seacroft, but right on the opposite side).

Not sure where his home was filmed though?

It was behind the parade of shops on the Weston Estate in Otley. You could see the Chevin in the background.


Thanks - well off my stomping ground which explains why I didn't recognise it!
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell
stutterdog
PostsCOLON 859
JoinedCOLON Mon 15 Jun, 2009 4:46 pm

Postby stutterdog » Thu 13 Mar, 2014 8:49 pm

raveydavey wrote:
Following on from my last post, I've just watched

http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/p01rwfkm/

Nairn across Britain - Trans-Pennine Canal

First transmitted in 1972, Ian Nairn travels by boat along the canal across the Pennines looking at the industrial area of the North The canal journey begins at Worsley and continues through Leigh, Wigan Chorley, Blackburn, Burnley, through the Foulridge tunnel, past Skipton, Bingley, Saltaire, and into Leeds. The canal-side towns fall under Nairn's critical eye and he asks 'why ignore the canals when they could revitalise a whole slice of the industrial North?'


It's another fascinating insight into the early 70's and well worth a look if you have time.

They actually start at Worsley basin in Manchester before eventually ending up at a largely abandoned "Leeds Canal Basin" or as you might know it better Granary Wharf (see photo), without an expensive apartment in sight.
In fact the crane in the background is construction just starting on the Dragonara Hotel...


Just watched both films as I've not seen them before, I enjoyed them very much ,thanks for putting them up Ravey D.How things have changed in 42 years! Couldn't help feeling very angry at the decimation of the railways by Dr. Beeching. How shortsighted were the Govt. then, though not much is different now! Short-termism seems to be inherent in Conservative Govts.
ex-Armley lad
User avatar
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1156
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Postby buffaloskinner » Thu 03 Apr, 2014 9:57 pm

Currently been filmed on the Manor Farms in Middleton is Urban Grimshaw and the Shed Crew http://www.blenheimfilms.com/urban/ they have been filming for the last two days and nights.
Its like night time in Alaska up here and the buses are have a few problems getting through

Must be good propaganda for Leeds though
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?

User avatar
buffaloskinner
PostsCOLON 1156
JoinedCOLON Sun 01 Apr, 2007 6:02 pm
LocationCOLON Nova Scotia

Postby buffaloskinner » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 7:09 pm

Urban Grimshaw
Filming in Middleton has now finished and all back to some form of normality, caused a few disruptions I believe
Neil Morrissey made himself very popular with the locals.
Urban Grimshaw is due to be released in December.

Theres more on Urban Grimshaw here http://tinyurl.com/p96ghe5
Is this the end of the story ...
or the beginning of a legend?
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5756
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 7:53 pm

I'm racking what little seems to be left of my brain but I cannot recall the name of a BBC series that was similar to its Spooks but used characters earlier in their MI5 training. Many scenes were filmed in Leeds, such as Victoria Quarter and the University. The series was OK but it did not last long. Does anyone recall the series name? Apologies if it has already been mentioned in this now very long thread but as I don't know the name I can't search for it!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.
raveydavey
PostsCOLON 2886
JoinedCOLON Thu 22 Mar, 2007 3:59 pm
LocationCOLON The Far East (of Leeds...)
CONTACTCOLON

Postby raveydavey » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 8:56 pm

Leodian wrote:
I'm racking what little seems to be left of my brain but I cannot recall the name of a BBC series that was similar to its Spooks but used characters earlier in their MI5 training. Many scenes were filmed in Leeds, such as Victoria Quarter and the University. The series was OK but it did not last long. Does anyone recall the series name? Apologies if it has already been mentioned in this now very long thread but as I don't know the name I can't search for it!


You're thinking of MI-High (a play on MI-5) which was a CBBC show made by the people who made Spooks.

I think the premise was kids still at school defending the nation from all manner of baddies...Spooks Juniors, if you like.



Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5756
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 9:32 pm

raveydavey wrote:
Leodian wrote:
I'm racking what little seems to be left of my brain but I cannot recall the name of a BBC series that was similar to its Spooks but used characters earlier in their MI5 training. Many scenes were filmed in Leeds, such as Victoria Quarter and the University. The series was OK but it did not last long. Does anyone recall the series name? Apologies if it has already been mentioned in this now very long thread but as I don't know the name I can't search for it!


You're thinking of MI-High (a play on MI-5) which was a CBBC show made by the people who made Spooks.

I think the premise was kids still at school defending the nation from all manner of baddies...Spooks Juniors, if you like.





Thanks raveydavey. That does not however seem familiar as the characters I'm sure were not school kids but 'secret agents' in training with real guns and espionage plots. Apologies if I am wrong. I'm starting to wonder now if it was a BBC spin-off of Spooks or another channel.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

raveydavey
PostsCOLON 2886
JoinedCOLON Thu 22 Mar, 2007 3:59 pm
LocationCOLON The Far East (of Leeds...)
CONTACTCOLON

Postby raveydavey » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 10:01 pm

Leodian wrote:
raveydavey wrote:
Leodian wrote:
I'm racking what little seems to be left of my brain but I cannot recall the name of a BBC series that was similar to its Spooks but used characters earlier in their MI5 training. Many scenes were filmed in Leeds, such as Victoria Quarter and the University. The series was OK but it did not last long. Does anyone recall the series name? Apologies if it has already been mentioned in this now very long thread but as I don't know the name I can't search for it!


You're thinking of MI-High (a play on MI-5) which was a CBBC show made by the people who made Spooks.

I think the premise was kids still at school defending the nation from all manner of baddies...Spooks Juniors, if you like.





Thanks raveydavey. That does not however seem familiar as the characters I'm sure were not school kids but 'secret agents' in training with real guns and espionage plots. Apologies if I am wrong. I'm starting to wonder now if it was a BBC spin-off of Spooks or another channel.


Wiki link here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M.I._High

Its a bit garbled, but that's what happens when you let anyone contribute... Wink
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell
User avatar
Leodian
PostsCOLON 5756
JoinedCOLON Thu 10 Jun, 2010 8:03 am

Postby Leodian » Sat 05 Apr, 2014 11:20 pm

Hi raveydavey. Regular Smiley Thanks for your help, which is appreciated.

I think I have now found that it was called 'Spooks: Code 9', which was a Spooks spin-off in 2008 but only lasted 1 series. Though that title does not ring a bell to me a photo of the cast did and it is also stated to have been filmed at locations in Leeds and Bradford.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

Return to





Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 3 and 0 guests