Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Popping back to DCI Banks, the school was indeed St Theresa's (formerly St Kevins) on Barwick Road.The opening sequence saw the lad run up from South Parkway, around some houses and come out by the flats at the bottom of Boggart Hill Drive where the taxi caught up with him - so he'd clearly run some way...(still in Seacroft, but right on the opposite side).Not sure where his home was filmed though?
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

DazB

Post by DazB »

Emmerdale have been filming in Bramley at the high rise flats on Raynville Road . I think it has something to do with the Sam / Rachel storyline. They renamed the flats as Florida Court for filming so can only assume it is where she is 'holed-up' !
The element of suprise was removed from the Periodic Table in 1926. It was represented by the symbol 'oh'.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

More DCI Banks spotting - he's just driven up Boggart Hill Drive, down North Parkway and ended up in Harehills....before popping up on Armley Town Street! And now a circular tour around Holbeck.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

[dead link]

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Might be of interest on the BBC iplayer...http://www.bbc.co.uk/i/p01rwh55/Nairn across Britain - from Leeds into ScotlandFirst transmitted in 1972, Ian Nairn travels by rail to complete his series of journeys, contemplating the mix of architectural triumphs and calamities as he passes dramatic landscapes and deserted stations on the way to Edinburgh.The final journey follows the railway out of Leeds on the Settle-Carlisle rail link. Nairn branches off along the now abandoned rail route to Edinburgh to look at areas that may well have had their lifeline severed.Funnily enough much of what he says makes perfect sense even now, some 42 years later. Plus there is the opportunity to see what would now be classed as heritage traction on the tracks (for phill, there even are a couple of Class 40's ....) and 'classic' road transport, whilst marveling at how things used to be. The attached pic is a screen grab as the show opens in Leeds.There is also a link on the iplayer page to another Nairn programme where he takes a journey across the Leeds - Liverpool canal, if that's what floats your boat
Attachments
Lds1.jpg
Lds1.jpg (158.55 KiB) Viewed 2578 times

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Following on from my last post, I've just watchedhttp://www.bbc.co.uk/i/p01rwfkm/Nairn across Britain - Trans-Pennine CanalFirst transmitted in 1972, Ian Nairn travels by boat along the canal across the Pennines looking at the industrial area of the North The canal journey begins at Worsley and continues through Leigh, Wigan Chorley, Blackburn, Burnley, through the Foulridge tunnel, past Skipton, Bingley, Saltaire, and into Leeds. The canal-side towns fall under Nairn's critical eye and he asks 'why ignore the canals when they could revitalise a whole slice of the industrial North?'It's another fascinating insight into the early 70's and well worth a look if you have time.They actually start at Worsley basin in Manchester before eventually ending up at a largely abandoned "Leeds Canal Basin" or as you might know it better Granary Wharf (see photo), without an expensive apartment in sight. In fact the crane in the background is construction just starting on the Dragonara Hotel...
Attachments
lds3.jpg
lds3.jpg (177.99 KiB) Viewed 2582 times

Jogon

Post by Jogon »

majorhoundii

Post by majorhoundii »

Jogon wrote: John Betjaman does leeds 1968, love those buses and a soot-blackened Town Hallhttp://vimeo.com/44378610    [edit, oh b*m, might have had this before] I haven't seen that before it was great. I remember John Betjeman being interviewed not long before he died. The interviewer asked if he had any regrets and he said "Yes I haven't had enough sex!" The one missing building was the Corn Exchange. I can't believe anyone doing a film about Leeds's architecture could miss out this beautiful classic building (My favourite)

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Another hidden gem on the BBC iPlayer:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... ding/First transmitted in 1996, the artist Damien Hirst revisits the Worsley Medical Building in Leeds, where he used to do anatomical drawings as a student.Quote: "This is either a Godless building - or God"Under 10 minutes long, but well worth a look. It's a building I've seen goodness knows how many times, but which never really registered like it does after watching the film.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

raveydavey wrote: Another hidden gem on the BBC iPlayer:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... ding/First transmitted in 1996, the artist Damien Hirst revisits the Worsley Medical Building in Leeds, where he used to do anatomical drawings as a student.Quote: "This is either a Godless building - or God"Under 10 minutes long, but well worth a look. It's a building I've seen goodness knows how many times, but which never really registered like it does after watching the film. Thanks raveydavey for the link to what is an interesting video. I was amused in its information by the precise and long time to come "Available until 12:00AM Thu, 1 Jan 2099"!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.