Leeds on screen

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jim

Re: Leeds on screen

Post by jim »

I was there on my bike for half an hour during the time when the filming took place between Green Lane School and Wellington Road. I was on my way home when I saw the crowds and vehicles, so had a nosey.

For more info on the film and it's Leeds and Bradford filming sites, enter "Billy Liar" into the "Site Search" box at the head of the page, and you will find six or more pages full of references to the here on Secret Leeds.

I see you are a new contributor to the site, so welcome to Secret Leeds.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Watched DCI Banks last night and they had the first scenes of a murder under the dark arches. I believe it was the section where access is gained by the lower section of the old station, it was certainly up near the weir.

There are some good pics under the arches here https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcw1967/with/15374202152/

Here is the old canal with entrance from the River, as you can see it is blocked off just inside the entrance and full of muck (this is where Jim almost lost his glasses looking down the banking). https://www.flickr.com/photos/jcw1967/s ... 0279102990

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I watched ITV's Black Work it for a while without recognizing any locations but realized it was set in Leeds from the shots of the tunnel on the inner ring road. Then I got a brief flash of the Town Hall. In the second episode there were scenes in a cottage in Timble, Leeds 21, and some scenes set in the Trinity shopping mall. In the final episode there was a swimming race in an old style swimming pool . The interior of the pool resembled Bramley baths but I didn't recognise the exterior shots of the stone building . I wonder if anyone else recognised it. or the girder bridge, near the scene of the shooting, which I think has also been used for a shooting in Inspector Banks.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

My previous house in Rawdon features in many scenes, as does my old street, Springwood Road.

Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

The house scene was shot in Meanwood either the Holmwoods or the Sunsets for Black Work
DCI Banks dads house defiantly the Holmwoods as my mother knows the people who own the house
Bramley Baths
Was the girder bridge across the Aire where the power station was at Gotts Park?
life is not a dress rehearsal

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

Thanks Steve for confirming Bramley baths. I used to swim there a lot and recognised the interior(sort of) but I would never have seen the exterior from the camera angle they used (fairly high and wide) also the building would have been jet black in my day not beautifully stone cleaned!
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Here are four great dvds in the Network DVD sale. All filmed in Leeds and the surrounding areas.
The sale is only on for a few days (60% off) so get in quick if you want them.

Sale starts here: http://networkonair.com/shop/122-itv-sale

Network DVD
ITV sale

BEIDERBECKE TRILOGY: THE COMPLETE SERIES £6.72

Starring James Bolam and Barbara Flynn. They play Trevor Chaplin and Jill Swinburne, two reluctant teachers who are drawn into a web of intrigue when Trevor is paid a mysterious visit by a slightly-gorgeous platinum blonde.
Since that moment The Beiderbecke Trilogy has maintained its position as one of the nation’s favourite television shows, with its easy-going plots, dryly-humorous dialogue, deftly-drawn characters and outstanding Jazz score by Frank Ricotti and legendary trumpeter Kenny Baker.

THE BEIDERBECKE AFFAIR
All Trevor Chaplin wants is a set of Bix Beiderbecke records. All Jill Swinburne wants is to stand for the council as an Independent candidate. So where does the dazzlingly beautiful platinum blonde come in..?

THE BEIDERBECKE TAPES
Dragged into the murky world of national security, Jill and Trevor find themselves pursued and threatened by sinister grey men. But all Trevor wanted was a tape of Bix Beiderbecke music!

THE BEIDERBECKE CONNECTION
Trevor and Jill are back - this time with a baby in tow! Taking their family addition for a walk they bump into Big Al, who asks them for a favour...

SPECIAL FEATURES
• Get Lost: All four episodes of the precursor series to The Beiderbecke Trilogy, starring Alun Armstrong and Bridget Turner as two teachers trying to enjoy a half-term break.
• Archive interviews with Bolam, Flynn and Plater, while filming The Beiderbecke Tapes in 1987
• Commemorative booklet on the making of the Trilogy (and Get Lost) by Andrew Pixley
• Soundtrack CD featuring the music of Frank Ricotti and legendary trumpeter Kenny Baker

See more at: http://networkonair.com/shop/326-beider ... SEgLz.dpuf

QUEENIE’S CASTLE £4.32

Diana Dors stars as glamorous matriarch Queenie Shepherd, who rules the roost in Margaret Rose House in the Buckingham Flats (Quarry Hill) development in Yorkshire, sharing her home with her three wayward princelings Raymond, Douglas and Bunny and brother-in-law Jack.
While Queenie’s husband is mysteriously absent, her beloved boys are involved in all manner of dodgy activities and no Shepherd is a stranger to the local magistrates’ court; in fact, there are quite a few residents - neighbour Mrs. Petty for one - who would be heartily relieved to see the back of them... although the landlord of The Builders’ Arms would probably be forced to seek an alternative income!
Coronation Street stars Lynne Perrie - as the aptly named Mrs. Petty - and Bryan Mosley also appear alongside Eastenders’ Tony Caunter in this raucous Yorkshire Television sitcom from Keith Waterhouse and Willis Hall (Billy Liar, Budgie). Cut from the same cloth as Shameless, this release contains every episode of Queenie’s Castle, originally screened between 1970 and 1972.

See more at: http://networkonair.com/shop/939-queeni ... FzIE1.dpuf

FOLLYFOOT £9.60

A much-loved success throughout its three-year run on ITV, Follyfoot was based on an idea by novelist Monica Dickens. This enchanting and warmly remembered series starred Gillian Blake as Dora, Steve Hodson as Steve and Christian Rodska as Ron - a devoted trio of workers at a retirement home for old, unwanted or mistreated horses at a Yorkshire farm owned by Dora's uncle (Desmond Llewelyn).
Famously complemented by one of the catchiest theme tunes ever recorded - The Lightning Tree by The Settlers - the series was adapted by Francis Stevens with episodes directed by, among others, BAFTA winners Michael Apted (7Up) and Stephen Frears (My Beautiful Laundrette, The Queen), Academy award winner Jack Cardiff (Sons and Lovers), and fan favourite Peter Hammond (The Avengers).
For the first time, this six-disc set brings together all three series of Follyfoot. Originally transmitted between 1971 and 1973, most of the 39 episodes have been transferred directly from the original film elements for this release. Dora, a sad and lonely girl, suffers a terrifying experience during her first evening in the countryside. It opens her eyes to something new and leads her to start life afresh - at Follyfoot.

See more at: http://networkonair.com/shop/712-follyf ... dk6qD.dpuf

STAY LUCKY

Series 1 £2.88 Series 2 £3.36 Series 3 £4.80 Series 4 £6.94

Dennis Waterman stars as Thomas Gynn, a London gangland refugee who heads north to escape old demons and attempt to carve out a new life in this popular and light-hearted drama series from Yorkshire Television.

:arrow:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

LS1

Post by LS1 »

Judge Rinder's opening credits are filmed on the exterior of the Town Hall. You can see him also walking up the stairs to the clock tower and coming out of the main doors in silhouette. Does anyone know if the main programme is filmed T the ITV studios in Leeds?

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Large gathering of film crew at Temple Newsam today.

Using the house and grounds.

One of the crew said it was ITV Drama Victoria
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Heard today.
Fountain pub opposite St james's is to used
for new Kay Mellor production filming.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.