Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Johnny39 wrote: Whyme wrote: Sam Sam the dirty old man, Wash his face in a frying panand combed his hair with a big toenail. My mum just told me this one, But she can't remember the rest.....Anyone??? Could it be?Dan, Dan the dustbinmanwashed his face in a frying pan,combed his hair with a donkey's tailand scratched his belly with his big toe nail. Chin-chin Chinamanbought a penny dollWashed it,dressed itthen it caught a col' (d)Sent for the doctorDoctor couldn't come'cos he had a pimpleon his (thumb?)I think this is a parody on one ofGilbert and Sullivan's operettasMikado perhaps? I'm Dan,Dan the Waterworks manThe man wot stops yer waterWorks all dayWorks all nightshoutin' out,'Missus is yer water all right?'I ain't the bloke wot delivers your cokeI ain't a railway porterI'm Dan,Dan the waterworks manI'm the man wot stops yer water.Ow's yer water ? Orright?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Question:"Where did that come from?"Answer:"Up a nick in Russia."Don't know where it came from but it was a very popular answer years ago!
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Bert

Post by Bert »

Black as 't fire back.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Johnny39 wrote: Question:"Where did that come from?"Answer:"Up a nick in Russia."Don't know where it came from but it was a very popular answer years ago! My brother-in-law, Bradford born and bred, used to give the reply "up a nick i' Bowlin'" as his answer, so there must be a common thread somewhere. Bowling is part of Bradford, so maybe the alleged location of the "nick" varied according to locality of the speaker?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: 'Arry 'Awk wrote: Johnny39 wrote: Whyme wrote: Sam Sam the dirty old man, Wash his face in a frying panand combed his hair with a big toenail. My mum just told me this one, But she can't remember the rest.....Anyone??? Could it be?Dan, Dan the dustbinmanwashed his face in a frying pan,combed his hair with a donkey's tailand scratched his belly with his big toe nail. Chin-chin Chinamanbought a penny dollWashed it,dressed itthen it caught a col' (d)Sent for the doctorDoctor couldn't come'cos he had a pimpleon his (thumb?)I think this is a parody on one ofGilbert and Sullivan's operettasMikado perhaps? I'm Dan,Dan the Waterworks manThe man wot stops yer waterWorks all dayWorks all nightshoutin' out,'Missus is yer water all right?'I ain't the bloke wot delivers your cokeI ain't a railway porterI'm Dan,Dan the waterworks manI'm the man wot stops yer water.Ow's yer water ? Orright? Ah made yer lookAn ah made yer stareAh made the barber cut yer 'air'e cut it long'e cut it short,Cut it with a knife an' fork.skipping rhyme I think.
Industria Omnia Vincit

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Just wondered if any one can help out,not sure of the spelling.When we were little we used to use the term BRAMA ? If someonedid something good (that shot on goal was a Brama) or had something special (that catty is powerful-yeah it's a Brama).We all used the word in the 50's but wondered about it's origin,anyone any ideas?
"always expect the unexpected"

kango

Post by kango »

Joseph Bramah was an inventor and locksmith whose locks were so well made and unpickable, that when anyone needed a word to describe something well made/well done etc they refered to said object as a"Bramah". This link describes Him in more detail.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_BramahHope this helps.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Thank you Kango for helping solve this query.
"always expect the unexpected"

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Getting " sent off with a flea in your ear" = Being put right about something in no uncertain terms!!

grumpybloke

Post by grumpybloke »

If I asked my dad what something was he'd often say it was a "doofer", as in "doofer owt".