Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Post by dogduke »

'Arry 'Awk wrote: Si wrote: Here's one I heard recently:"He's short o' nowt he's got."- meaning he's a man who has everything. Eeeh!,Ah'm that famished, Ah cud eyt a scabby 'Oss between two Mattresses' ! And then go back for t jockey
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

Ah'm fair clemmed!Does that mean hungry, or is it thirsty?
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

zip55

Post by zip55 »

Uno Hoo wrote: Ah'm fair clemmed!Does that mean hungry, or is it thirsty? Same as 'famished'.

compton

Post by compton »

Has anyone ever heard as in "what am a gettin for me birthday mam", answer "a katterendandy", always puzzled me as a child, probably intended, but as anyone ever heard it besides me?
Rod

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Marra to Bonny is one my mam used to say. I didn't know what it meant at the time. But I believe it meant you were a friend of Napoleon. Whether it's a Yorkshire expression I'm not sure. Marra is a Cumbrian dialect word I believe. My mam was from Hemsworth and her family I've recently found out were from Willenhall in Staffs. So I suppose it could have come from there.When you asked an adult how old they were they'd say "as old as mi tongue and a bit older than mi teeth"Bread and scrape was another which I suppose is fairly self explanatory. However, bread and pullit isn't.
Industria Omnia Vincit

yorkshire lass

Post by yorkshire lass »

Hiya,This is one my auntys and mum used to say ' Thars leike 'orse muck alus int rooad"or yer daft as a brush but nor half as useful.Just a teeny one when you come in from outside was ' puwoodinoiyle ' meaning Shut the door.cheersyorkshire lass.

Whyme

Post by Whyme »

Sam Sam the dirty old man, Wash his face in a frying panand combed his hair with a big toenail. My mum just told me this one, But she can't remember the rest.....Anyone???

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

One fine day in the middle of the nightthree tom cats went looking for a fight,one had a pistol, one had a drum and one had a pancake stuck to its bum.Just a silly verse from schooldays.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

Whyme wrote: Sam Sam the dirty old man, Wash his face in a frying panand combed his hair with a big toenail. My mum just told me this one, But she can't remember the rest.....Anyone??? Could it be?Dan, Dan the dustbinmanwashed his face in a frying pan,combed his hair with a donkey's tailand scratched his belly with his big toe nail.
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Arry Awk

Post by Arry Awk »

Johnny39 wrote: Whyme wrote: Sam Sam the dirty old man, Wash his face in a frying panand combed his hair with a big toenail. My mum just told me this one, But she can't remember the rest.....Anyone??? Could it be?Dan, Dan the dustbinmanwashed his face in a frying pan,combed his hair with a donkey's tailand scratched his belly with his big toe nail. Chin-chin Chinamanbought a penny dollWashed it,dressed itthen it caught a col' (d)Sent for the doctorDoctor couldn't come'cos he had a pimpleon his (thumb?)I think this is a parody on one ofGilbert and Sullivan's operettasMikado perhaps?