Odd sayings

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Johnny39

Post by Johnny39 »

When I was a kid - many, many moons ago - my parents, relations, neighbours etc. had sayings for children who they thought were listening in to adult conversation. One, that has always stuck in my mind is, "Littlle pigs have big ears". Another saying - for over inquisitive children - who persisted in asking what this, that or the other was, was, "It's a wingwam for ducks to peak on"! The word "peak" I'm not very sure about, as it was always pronounced "peeark". Anyone else with any of the quotations?
Daft I call it - What's for tea Ma?

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

One that has always puzzled me is "It goes like $hit off a stick?"But wouldn't $hit stick to the stick??lol    OR what about "youve $hit yer hole full now" what's all that about then??
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Talking about a henpecked husband "when she shouts $hit he jumps on t' shovel.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

LOL. I can see this thread start to go down hill pretty quick ha ha
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

rangieowner

Post by rangieowner »

How about the response to the nosey child who keeps asking "What's that?"......... ................................"$hit wi sugar on!"
Love a Landrover

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I won't mention the 'through the eye of a needle' conundrum then. Which means the opposite to what it should.    

liits

Post by liits »

“I’ll give you wot for”! I could never understand this. Thinking about it now, it’s what was unsaid that really matters. “Stop that or I’ll clout you”. “What for”? I guess that that’s when the saying comes into play.

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

With regards to nosey children; when asking my parents or granddad where they were going when any of them went out without me or my brother the answer was either 'to see teresa green', 'see pat burns' or 'to see a man about a dog'.

Lilysmum

Post by Lilysmum »

Loiner in Cyprus wrote: With regards to nosey children; when asking my parents or granddad where they were going when any of them went out without me or my brother the answer was either 'to see teresa green', 'see pat burns' or 'to see a man about a dog'. Or "there and back to see how far it is"

Loiner in Cyprus

Post by Loiner in Cyprus »

Lilysmum wrote: Loiner in Cyprus wrote: With regards to nosey children; when asking my parents or granddad where they were going when any of them went out without me or my brother the answer was either 'to see teresa green', 'see pat burns' or 'to see a man about a dog'. Or "there and back to see how far it is" Yes I had forgotten that one.