LEEDS THE CAPTIOL OF THE NORTH

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
jamesy08

Post by jamesy08 »

WHEN I WAS AT SCHOOL A LONG TIME AGO I SAW ON THE WALL A POSTER OF THE TOWNHALL ON IT WITH THE WORDS OF THE LEEDS COUNCIL AND SAY LEEDS CAPTIOL OF THE NORTH HAD THIS DISAGREEMENT ITH PEOPLE OVER IT WHAT DOES ANYONE ELSE THINK?

Si

Post by Si »

I think this is an unresolvable argument between the people of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and probably others.In Roman times, York was the capital of the north, hence only two archbishops - York and Canterbury.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Si wrote: I think this is an unresolvable argument between the people of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and probably others.In Roman times, York was the capital of the north, hence only two archbishops - York and Canterbury. Si,to be fair,York was probably the first real capitol of the country from the 8th century until the Norman invasion,when the country was virtually changed from a Nordic centric economy to a Franco centric one.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Si wrote: I think this is an unresolvable argument between the people of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and probably others.In Roman times, York was the capital of the north, hence only two archbishops - York and Canterbury. I agree with you Si. No disrespect to the folk of Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle. There out of the race by a mile. Sheffield and Liverpool have struggled badly for many many years(the steel and dock industry collapsing bringing them both to there knees), there only now catching up with the rest.    Newcastle by It's geography alone is it's own downfall, It will never attract the business relocation, despite it been the fine city it is (I was up there last week as well)The race is definitely between Leeds and Manchester. I couldn't hazard a guess which of the 2 has the most importance in terms of finance and business clout.But one thing I can say for sure... and It dose not please me one bit (Leeds city Council take note)Leeds isn't even in the same field compared to Manchester in terms of leasure, tourism and transport infrastructure. We simply have NOTHING! Were not playing the same ball game. Were other cities Lead-Leeds follows half heatedly has always been this cities unofficial motto!I wait with bated breathe to see if the new arena ever becomes more than the Criterion project, i.e It looks great on plans in the newspaper but that's as far as it goes.The one thing Leeds has the advantage over Manchester is it's compact city centre and shopping quarter. Manchester is too spread out.                                        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Si wrote: I think this is an unresolvable argument between the people of Leeds, Newcastle, Manchester, Liverpool, Sheffield and probably others.In Roman times, York was the capital of the north, hence only two archbishops - York and Canterbury. I agree with you Si. No disrespect to the folk of Sheffield, Liverpool and Newcastle. There out of the race by a mile. Sheffield and Liverpool have struggled badly for many many years, there only now catching up with the rest.    Newcastle by It's geography alone is it's own downfall, It will never attract the business relocation despite it been the fine city it is (I was up there last week as well)The race is definitely between Leeds and Manchester. I couldn't hazard a guess which of the 2 has the most importance in terms of finance and business clout.But one thing I can say for sure... and It dose not please me one bit (Leeds city Council take note) Leeds isn't even in th esame field compared o manchester in terms of leasure, tourism and transport infrastructure. We simply have NOTHING!I wait with bated breathe to see if the new arena ever becomes more than the Criterion project, i.e It looks great on plans in the newspaper but that's as far as it goes.                     Youre right mate,id have to concede that Manchester has more than we do.But,they also have an awful problem with crime and deprevation because they have sunk their money into developing the infrastructure of the area but not its social problems.One of the good things about Leeds being middle of the road is that we have always had the attitude that as aa collective the whole city should go forward,not just the fortunate few.Hence Leeds is not in the top 10 worst places to live,unlike Manchester.Just think how great it would be to have the same transport infrastucure,leisure and art facilities.Talking of which i finally visted the museum on Tuesday.Ive got mixed feelings on the museum.Firstly i have to say the displays are really well presented,penty of interaction for the kids and plenty of memories stirred.However,this is good for the citizens of Leeds,i dont think anyone would be that interested from outside the city.I dont think id recommend it to anyone from outside Leeds which is a shame.I also think that the Leeds Arena display is a bit of a waste of space.Its nice to look at in the respect that the film and sound show are produced to a high standard,but i cant help feeling that its a cheap option to fill a large area,one which could have been filled with exhibits from the collection in store at Clarence dock.The museums of Liverpool and Manchester are far superior to ours,and im sure they attract many repeat visitors,i dont think Leeds will,unless tyke Bhoy can point out the error of my ways>
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds [email protected]

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes you right Chris. Manchester and Liverpol do have the bad image of chavvy gun waving culture more than Leeds. Leeds has It's fair share of places that'd be better blown of the map also
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Yes you right Chris. Manchester and Liverpol do have the bad image of chavvy gun waving culture more than Leeds. Leeds has It's fair share of places that'd be better blown of the map also We certainly do mate,but the scale of depravation in Manchester is huge,mile after mile of Chapeltown road like urban decay.We have Richmond Hill and East end park,but these are tiny compared to the areas of Moss side Toxteth etc.Again Liverpool is an excellent example of extremes.from Toxteth etc to Its wealthy suburbs.These wealthy suburbs are far more numerous than ours,loads of really nice large houses on tree lined roads,very impressive.Its not the image that Liverpool actually has,whereas Manchesters image certainly fits the bill as far as i can see.

Si

Post by Si »

Phill_dvsn wrote: Yes you right Chris. Manchester and Liverpol do have the bad image of chavvy gun waving culture more than Leeds. I know a lot of people from other parts of the country, and I would say that their general impression of Leeds, is a city on the up and up, but with a past of grimy industrialism. The Armouries and large financial sector probably helped (whoops!)However, they still see Manchester as a more important city overall, despite the perceived guns/drugs problems.Is this the Manchester United brand at work?(Sorry to mention that, Simonm.)    

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

It's swings and roundabouts isn't it really, for every positive there's always a negative. I do think this country could do with shipping out It's misfits to some remote island somewhere and letting them fend for themselves. It would have to be a big island though. The popualtion of Britain would be down to about 10 million also. We'd be living in Paradise mate!     

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Phill_dvsn wrote: It's swings and roundabouts isn't it really, for every positive there's always a negative. I do think this country could do with shipping out It's misfits to some remote island somewhere and letting them fend for themselves. It would have to be a big island though. The popualtion of Britain would be down to about 10 million also. We'd be living in Paradise mate!      Still plenty of room in Australia.Perhaps Jonesy should go on a deportation drive.