Christmas Lights

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Chrism

Post by Chrism »

chameleon wrote: Trojan wrote: chameleon wrote: simon2710 wrote: Oh dear Looks as if the politically correct government is still in, in Leeds.Wonder if they will put some decent lights up this year (doesn't look decent yet so far!) or wonder if they will suck up to the politically correct bunch and not put them up because they "offend" those of other religions. I wonder, out of interest, how many of those people of other religions have complained about the lights before?After seeing a margarita glass, could anybody tell me what that has to do with Christmas?This council need to do something spectacular to win people back, emptying a few peoples bins when the bin strike is on isn't good enough. It became our tradition when the kids were young to make the first Monday in December 'Christmas Shopping Day' and I remember well one year, Leeds boasted the best lights in Yorkshire. We stood at the bottom of Briggate and looked up at an amazing arry of lights which did depict our traditions of Christmas. Never again was that repeated, and as they reflect still today, the meaningless and insipid pale greens, blues and yellows mean little.Christmas trees, Christamas lights are all part of our traditions - why shouldn't we follow them in the time honoured way? Because they are a total waste of money. Christmas tree in front of Town Hall with lights on and Merry Christmas in lights end of. No Divali lights, no Hannaka lights no Ede lights. Spend the money on paying the blokes who empty the bins and clear the snow. Not only have our bins not been emptied for a month, but in February no one cleared the snow from our close or the road that leads to it, or the road that leads to that even though it's a bus route. They were probably too busy cutting the grass ...and why do they go up in september and stay till about february?
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

IIRC they're installed on Sundays by people seeking a bit of overtime and to reduce impact on business as usual service. It takes a while to get round them all so they start early and finish late.

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Cardiarms wrote: IIRC they're installed on Sundays by people seeking a bit of overtime and to reduce impact on business as usual service. It takes a while to get round them all so they start early and finish late. Why do they start at all is my question? Who benefits?
Industria Omnia Vincit

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Trojan wrote: Cardiarms wrote: IIRC they're installed on Sundays by people seeking a bit of overtime and to reduce impact on business as usual service. It takes a while to get round them all so they start early and finish late. Why do they start at all is my question? Who benefits? Bah Humbug

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Cardiarms wrote: I always though secular christmas ligths were chosen to placate practising christians who get wound up by their festival being hikacked by the godless masses. ;-D Had a look at the lights on New Briggate this morning. A rather odd looking Father Christmas, a few prezzies, a snowman and at least one depiction of a Christmas tree. However maybe the council know where you are coming from the last string, at the junction of Merrion Street, before exiting the lit area had as its two outside designs a lamb being hung in its middle from the top of a shield (Leeds Coat of Arms?). I can’t remember what the two inner designs were but in the middle is a box shape with what appears to be “Leeds big on Xmas” inside it
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

Cardiarms

Post by Cardiarms »

“Leeds big on Xmas”What does that mean?    

Chrism

Post by Chrism »

Cardiarms wrote: “Leeds big on Xmas”What does that mean?     Probably that Leeds starts celebrating in September and ends in February.
Sit thissen dahn an' tell us abaht it.

Leeds-lad

Post by Leeds-lad »

Cardiarms wrote: “Leeds big on Xmas”What does that mean?     Perhaps someone from the Marketing Dept. could answer that?
"always expect the unexpected"

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leeds-lad wrote: Cardiarms wrote: “Leeds big on Xmas”What does that mean?     Perhaps someone from the Marketing Dept. could answer that? I think they're too busy stealing peoples photos off the 'net...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: Leeds-lad wrote: Cardiarms wrote: “Leeds big on Xmas”What does that mean?     Perhaps someone from the Marketing Dept. could answer that? I think they're too busy stealing peoples photos off the 'net... Munki usually makes good use of this space for Light Night. Absence. Conspicuous.