Christmas Lights

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Christmas lights up in the centre of Leeds (are most ever taken down?). Christmas foods and decorations in shops. That must mean that Easter Eggs will soon be out!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Sticks, Is there any quotable example of a significant religious leader calling for a reduction in Christian festivals such as Christmas? Perhaps we can put your wife's mind at ease!

Keg

Post by Keg »

In fairness, the elders and leaders of all the non- christian cultures in leeds have never had an issue with xmas. Their view has always been " please go ahead, you have your festivals we have ours". It's been that way for many years.It's the sandal wearing, bearded brown ric eatring dogooders ( no generalistions there at all :-) ) that have caused the problem by saying "ooh we can't have the lights we will offend somone, thus playing into the hands of the BNP and belittling the very cultures they think they are helping!r
Keg

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

I don't get the impression that Christmas is under threat!    

Keg

Post by Keg »

Agreed!
Keg

leedslily

Post by leedslily »

Definitely not under threat - in fact the opposite - it now lasts from the end of August to the middle of January! :-)

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

Leodian wrote: Christmas lights up in the centre of Leeds (are most ever taken down?). Christmas foods and decorations in shops. That must mean that Easter Eggs will soon be out! I'm not religious at all. But if it was up to me there'd be no lights for Christmas, Ede (spelling) or Divalli. Waste of money. Especially Christmas lights in places like Morley, Pudsey, Rothwell. Christmas tree in front of the town hall - end of.
Industria Omnia Vincit

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Leodian wrote: Christmas lights up in the centre of Leeds (are most ever taken down?). Christmas foods and decorations in shops. That must mean that Easter Eggs will soon be out! The traditional date for that delight is Boxing Day - my dad used to work for Cadburys and the week up to Christmas was always spent delivering Easter Eggs for display as soon as Christmas was past.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

anthonydna

Post by anthonydna »

Boxing day used to be the cue for the Summer Holiday adverts, Thomas Cook et al, they dont seem to do that any more.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

It might just be me but I enjoy artificial lighting at night.Never went to Blackpool for 'THE LIGHTS'as a kid but loved it when we took our kids.Our back garden has lots of solar and tea lights which I find calming in the winter months.The newishClass Olsen shop(old Lewis's) had some coloured glass bottle tea light holders which sold out very quickly.Anything to brighten up the long winter nights.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.