Leeds Buskers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Si wrote: There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?     The guy near next was mixed race and I think had learning disabilities. I may be wrong though. He had a pretty good voice and with a bit of coaching might have been a lot better. There was a blonde haired lad a couple of years ago who belted out a few good songs on the corner as well.Anyone remember the guy who played harmonica about 15 years ago. He did a great Midnight Cowboy and he also turned up to entertain the queues for clubs on Fri / Sat nights.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Geordie-exile wrote: sundowner wrote: Hi Si if the the pan pipers are the same ones i used to listen to they are called APU i think thats how its spelt They used to come down from Newcastle to play in Leeds must have been worth it to come all that way to play. No, they got fed up of having bottles of dog* stotted at them at Grey's Monument. *Newcastle Brown Ale.          I once asked a Geordie mate why it was called dog and he replied "what else is brown apart from ale and dogs?". Fair enough.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Si wrote: There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?     The guy near next was mixed race and I think had learning disabilities. I may be wrong though. He had a pretty good voice and with a bit of coaching might have been a lot better. There was a blonde haired lad a couple of years ago who belted out a few good songs on the corner as well.Anyone remember the guy who played harmonica about 15 years ago. He did a great Midnight Cowboy and he also turned up to entertain the queues for clubs on Fri / Sat nights. yes ive seen him,he does a mean Tom Jones green green grass!ps/ heres that singing dog bloke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNk3GvHD ... re=related    
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Uno Hoo

Post by Uno Hoo »

[quotenick="Brandy"][quotenick="Reginal Perrin"][quotenick="Si"]There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. What did Amazing Grace sound like when she sang?yes ive seen him,he does a mean Tom Jones green green grass!I'll stay well away, then!!!Once came home from the USA on the same plane as Tom Jones, albeit not in the same cabin. Spent the journey half-hoping the plane would crash!    
The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ, moves on; nor all thy Piety nor all thy Wit can call it back to cancel half a Line, nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Si

Post by Si »

Reginal Perrin wrote: Si wrote: There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?     The guy near next was mixed race and I think had learning disabilities. I may be wrong though. He had a pretty good voice and with a bit of coaching might have been a lot better. That's the fella, Reg.

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: Reginal Perrin wrote: Si wrote: There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?     The guy near next was mixed race and I think had learning disabilities. I may be wrong though. He had a pretty good voice and with a bit of coaching might have been a lot better. That's the fella, Reg. Any one remember the sax player who used to busk outside Schofields i am told he is famous now his name is Snake Davis.

dazzi-b

Post by dazzi-b »

Yep I remember the guy. I think he was at the leeds college of music at the time. The list of people he appeared with is endless and reads like a who's who in music. Look for yourselves www.snakedavis.com

BLAKEY

Post by BLAKEY »

Si wrote: but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! I remember him very well indeed and, although I really do love all kinds of music I am no technical expert and so I never realised that he was ending in a different key. He certainly had a wonderful presence though, and seemed very sincere, and I feel that with proper training he could have made some real progress - I wonder what happened to him ??
There's nothing like keeping the past alive - it makes us relieved to reflect that any bad times have gone, and happy to relive all the joyful and fascinating experiences of our own and other folks' earlier days.

Si

Post by Si »

He finished each song in a different key, having visited several others during the course of the tune! However, I agree. He was very passionate and sang with great feeling, and that's what matters. I also wonder what happened to him.    

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

A flying half brick soon sorted his 'key blindness'! lol