Leeds Buskers

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Si

Post by Si »

There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?    

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

The one-man-band with the dog that howls when prompted! He's usually on Briggate on a Sunday lunchtime.

Si

Post by Si »

My daughter told me there's a bloke with a harmonica and two dogs. When he plays, the dogs try and drown him out!

LS1

Post by LS1 »

What about Freeman the african busker who plays either a xylophone or bongos. Not seen him on Briggate for a while.    

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Si wrote: My daughter told me there's a bloke with a harmonica and two dogs. When he plays, the dogs try and drown him out! That's the one I meant, Si! Unfortunately there's only one dog now...

arry_awk

Post by arry_awk »

Poor fella musta bin hungry!lolWhen we hear that piper (usually on Kirkgateopposite Fish Street) we hurry and get the next bus home!!!!Bagpipes, Invented by the Irish,given to the Scots,whohaven't seen the joke yet! Now, if they'd beenNorthumbrian pipes, I could listen all day!Sorry, you Jocks!

simonm

Post by simonm »

Tasa wrote: The one-man-band with the dog that howls when prompted! He's usually on Briggate on a Sunday lunchtime. They're really good and very funny.Anyone seen the guy, about 50ish who plays the Spanish guitar. Amazing guitar player, his fingers go like the clappers. I wish I could play like that. I love to stand and listen to him, allus give to that chap!
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

simonm

Post by simonm »

Forgot to mention the African chap that playes an african instrument, a bit like a xylaphone. Great he is as well.
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

Si wrote: There have always been many buskers in Leeds, particularly in the Commercial Street area. Obviously, the late Danny Freeman comes to mind first, but does anyone remember the bloke who used to sing hymns (like Amazing Grace) outside Next. He had a very loud and impressive baritone, but could not finish a song in the same key he started it in! Or the kilted piper at the top of Kirkgate? Or the bunch of Peruvian pan-pipers who always turned up for Christmas? Any more?     Hi Si if the the pan pipers are the same ones i used to listen to they are called APU i think thats how its spelt They used to come down from Newcastle to play in Leeds must have been worth it to come all that way to play.

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

sundowner wrote: Hi Si if the the pan pipers are the same ones i used to listen to they are called APU i think thats how its spelt They used to come down from Newcastle to play in Leeds must have been worth it to come all that way to play. No, they got fed up of having bottles of dog* stotted at them at Grey's Monument. *Newcastle Brown Ale.