Newlay Hall - Bramley

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Biscuit Tin

Post by Biscuit Tin »

Trying to locate where Newlay Hall was or is, anyone any ideas or photo's? Couldn't find anything on Leodis (BT

Bramley4woods

Post by Bramley4woods »

Biscuit Tin wrote: Trying to locate where Newlay Hall was or is, anyone any ideas or photo's? Couldn't find anything on Leodis (BT It is demolished.By all accounts it was in Bramley Fall Woods, off Pollard Lane just across the canal on the Bramley side. looking at :-http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&hl=en ... &z=17There is a clearing in the woods with a lot of parked vehicles, maybe somewhere in / around there.
We wanted to make Leeds a better place for the future - but we're losing it. The tide is going out beneath our feet.

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

If you're on about the rather large clearing behind the pub...... that's what used to be the Aire Valley Dyeworks run by Whitaker & Aykroyd, it's now houses.    
I'll be back (arnie)

Mick_SGC

Post by Mick_SGC »

Also, if you check on old-mapsdotcom you may be able to find it easier, If there was a manor house in the area it may have been one of the only houses....    
I'll be back (arnie)

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Here's where it was. Here's a link to Live Search Maps - the remains of Newlay Hall are the brown clearing to the east of the white rectangular clearing.http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&F ... &encType=1
Attachments
__TFMF_wex5nz55soat1l3025qkdg45_2aa45e38-aeba-429a-893a-f886f3fab1bc_0_main.jpg
__TFMF_wex5nz55soat1l3025qkdg45_2aa45e38-aeba-429a-893a-f886f3fab1bc_0_main.jpg (216.8 KiB) Viewed 4290 times

billy the buffalo

Post by billy the buffalo »

Looking at the map it appears Newlay Hall is where the old quarry is now at Bramley Fall Woods.I do remember a family that used to live in a house that was on the edge of the quarry that has long since gone, i think there may be some trace of it though. ( that was in the 60's)    

sundowner

Post by sundowner »

billy the buffalo wrote: Looking at the map it appears Newlay Hall is where the old quarry is now at Bramley Fall Woods.I do remember a family that used to live in a house that was on the edge of the quarry that has long since gone, i think there may be some trace of it though. ( that was in the 60's)     Hi billy the buffalo that quarry was probably there a long time before the house i am sure i read they took stone from Bramley Fall Woods to build York Minster i am shure someone will know if i am right or wrong. Or was it kirkstall Abbey    

Si

Post by Si »

sundowner wrote: billy the buffalo wrote: Looking at the map it appears Newlay Hall is where the old quarry is now at Bramley Fall Woods.I do remember a family that used to live in a house that was on the edge of the quarry that has long since gone, i think there may be some trace of it though. ( that was in the 60's)     Hi billy the buffalo that quarry was probably there a long time before the house i am sure i read they took stone from Bramley Fall Woods to build York Minster i am shure someone will know if i am right or wrong. Or was it kirkstall Abbey     According to other threads on SL, stone from that quarry was used in every famous building in the country! Erm,...except York Minster!

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

The gable end still stands of Newlay hall, if you can fight your way through the undegrowth to get to it that is. It's spot on were Tasa'a map shows it. You can see the old gate posts on the boundry wall still.    
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

quarrygirl

Post by quarrygirl »

I was born (194 and lived in Newlay hall,I have hundreds of photos,and know exactly where tunnel to Abbey is.I can also show photos of old quarry workings,who owned it,familys who lived close by,any questions please ask.Regards