Working Mens Clubs

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Steve266

Post by Steve266 »

Hall Road played it few timesRemember one night there I was doing my drum solo Mick singer and guitarist and Ado bass player leave stage and go to bar stand watching me drinking their pints as I am coming to the end I look up Mick raises his glass to me turns his back gets another pint so well knackered by this time I start all over again Happy days
life is not a dress rehearsal

volvojack

Re: Working Mens Clubs

Post by volvojack »

I was a member of Cross Flatts W.M.C. which iis a small club in Beeston. years In the 70s they were having a Firm in to modernise the place. as it was onthe corner of two streets there was not much scope to alter it, just change the stage around and stick some new furniture in. a Company called Club Transformation was going to begin at a cost of £10,000. I heard from a friend of mine that the Rex Cinema was up for sale for £17,000 and had a meeting with the Commitee to outline how this Cinema which was a large two story building with car park and stage,lighting toilets ect, perfect for a gradual conversion from a small Club to a much larger one, the sloping floor would not be a problem as they had a similar thing at Batley Variety Club and Carlinhow W.M.C.and simply put in a Mezzanine floor also they would attract a much larger membership there on a main road. The Commitee had the Modernisation Company round to discuss this and were talked out of it. surprise, surprise this Firm then bought the Rex, demolished it and built a small housing development on it themselves
Shame as it could have been, in my opinion, the finest Club in South Leeds if not all Leeds.