JOHN CHARLES

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
volvojack

Re: JOHN CHARLES

Post by volvojack »

[quote="volvojack"][quote="volvojack"][quote="jma"]In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.

There should be a least one of him in his Birthplace Swansea. Although Some Taffs might say Gareth Bale may run him clse, only time will tell

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="volvojack"][quote="volvojack"][quote="volvojack"][quote="jma"]In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.

There should be a least one of him in his Birthplace Swansea. Although Some Taffs might say Gareth Bale may run him clse, only time will tell[/quote

Big John in one season scored a United Club record of 42 goals in one season and the only other Leeds player to score more goals in his career was Peter Lorimer
The big difference was that Charles was playing with a very average team whereas Peter was in a side of virtuality all Internationals

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

There is an article relating to John Charles on page 6 and 7 of 'The Match' supplement in the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (June 5 2017). This is a link to the YEP online version that has less photos http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-8575635
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Leodian wrote:There is an article relating to John Charles on page 6 and 7 of 'The Match' supplement in the Yorkshire Evening Post (YEP) today (June 5 2017). This is a link to the YEP online version that has less photos http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/s ... -1-8575635
Whe the Main Stand burnt down including the Dressing Rooms, the team used to get changed on Fullerton Park and trot out through the ruins. John Charles transfer fee bought an as new Stand, Think it was from Huddersfield.

kamkaran

Post by kamkaran »

I want to tell you that roundhegian's answered you very well.follow him.
Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In answer to why he was regarde as such a Hero in his day. This was because we had never ever had a Super star in the United side, a player who singlehandedly dragged them into the First Division breaking Records along the way, sadly Leeds could not afford to refuse such a large cash offer for him. Also things about him that are well documented concerning his goal scoring records and conduct on the fieldn at a time when it was much more of a physical game than now, helped to create an aura around him.
Big John would have probably stayed at Centre Half had it not been that we lacked a goal scorer and once the Manager had realised that after he had scored a few goals from corner kicks etc. that here was a lad who could score with head and his feet. The rest is History,

In tthe 60s when most of the Great United side were young men getting married my partner and i had the contract to fit their Carpets. This was not only quite lucrative but we were fortunate to get a couple of tickets on most on Match days , home and away, Madeley, Cooper,Sprake and Hunter were some of them. Only once did i have a problem and that was when Paul Madeley asked me to fit a bedroom carpet at his House In Rodley over the weekend as his Mother in Law was coming to stay. United were playing on the Saturday in London and on Wednesday they were at Highbury so the team were staying over. I did him this favour. In return I asked if he would get me two tickets for the Arsenal game. He promised faithfully and it was a sell out, United and the Gunners being big time then. On the Night he got off of the Bus and said "Sorry" and just walked inside, we had driven 200 miles but luckily out came Peter Lorimer with some tickets for an ex. United player Jim Storrie. I asked Peter and a few minutes later out he came with two.
Years later i used to go in his Pub, The Commercial Sweet Street he was always a very pleasant Lad

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Searching for info for the current Queens Hotel thread I
see that the Queens has John Charles rooms 1,2 and 3 and a John Charles suite.
Wonder who thought of that !
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.