JOHN CHARLES

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
leedsGreatestSon

Post by leedsGreatestSon »

I trust what you are saying wiggy, but on both occasions his language was appalling. If I had of spoke to him the same way, I would of definitely been relieved of my job!!

Si

Post by Si »

I've met Jack on several occasions (he and my dad have a mutual friend) and have to agree he can be, err... rather abrupt. I had to share a room with him during the 1982 Spanish World Cup. His mother, Cissy, however, was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

volvojack

Re: JOHN CHARLES

Post by volvojack »

My brother and i began to go to Elland Road when football resumed after W.War 2. The first game Big John played was when he was about 17 at Centre Half against Houliston of Queen Of The South,this Scottish Internationalcentre forward was the finest of his day but Charles hardly gave him a chance. As it was said earlier he never had a referee book him throughout his career including Italy where kicking and fouls were quite common.
I only met him once and he was the perfect gentleman, I don't think he would have gone to Italy only the money offer was good and United were strapped for cash.
Next to him down there i would rate Billy Bremner, as a 90 minute man for Leeds. Jack Charlton and Norman Hunter etc were all good but to me those two stand out.
Even now 70 years or so after first watching L.U.A.F.C. i still look for their progress each Saturday afternoon.

jma

JACK CHARLTON

Post by jma »

I was a member of Leeds City Police and I worked in uniform at Dewsbury Road from 1967 to 1971 so I did quite a bit of duty in and around Elland Road ground. I've been in the company of various players of that era, although not formally introduced (and probably not even noticed, much of the time. :lol: )

During one home game a threat was received that Jack Charlton would be kidnapped. I don't know how serious the threat was but he treated it as a joke. Anyway, he used to have the concession for selling souvenirs from several lock-up kiosks around the ground and he collected the takings and unsold stock personally after each home game. That in itself shows how the game has changed with the arrival of a lot more money. Two of us were detailed to guard him while he did his round after the match. I'm 5'8" and the other lad who was picked was no giant, which made it look even sillier. Big Jack had a large estate car, Ford Zodiac perhaps and me and Brendan sat in the back. His wife who I think was called Pat, was a lovely person but he said very little and banged about because he was annoyed.

To the extent that he was not kidnapped, we succeeded in our duty, but I'm not convinced that we deterred anybody.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

jma. has mentioned how thing have chaanged. At the time Big John was making his impact at Elland Road we used to wait outside the Players entrance to try and get autographs. They had a Doorman ( Jack) who wore a long blue coat with gold cuffs which were United's colours at the time and he used to chase us away wielding a big stick. He lived in Beeston and years afterwards i buttonholed him and asked why he was such a Bast...d to young fans but he just mumbled.
Worst memory of watching John Charles was when they were drawn away to Torquay in the F.A. Cup and my brother and I traveled to the West Country by train for what seemed like ever only to see them lose and had the return journey Best part of a day to get there and all night to get back.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi everyone,

Just as a matter of interest, John Charles's younger brother, Melvyn Charles, died a few days ago on 24th September 2016 aged 81 years. He started off his footballing career with Leeds United in 1952 as Ground Staff before signing for his home club, Swansea Town, where he played for seven years and made 233 appearances. He went on to play 31 times for Wales and at several other clubs, including Arsenal, before retiring from the game in 1972. In appearance, he looked very much like his brother, John.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/25666056

Ian

volvojack

Re:

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Trojan"]fevlad wrote: roundhegian wrote: fevlad wrote: He kept the Commercial (bottom 'oil) in Churwell for a while. I've no problem with his being a hero in Leeds - so he was Welsh - so was |Lewis Jones and he's a hero in Leeds, so was Trevor Foster and he's a hero in Bradford. My first football boots from Stylo were "John Charles" boots with his name on the sole - as opposed to the "Stanley Matthews" boots other kids had!

He actually was the Landlord of the New Inn at Churwell, ( middle 'oil)

As Real Madrid are playing Juventus tonight in Cardiff in the Champions League Final , there will be many Italians wishing Big John was playing for them. He scored 93 goals in 150 games in their Top Division, never booked, never sent off, which was a rarity in the Hothead Italian League. I saw him play his first match for United at Centre Half against the famous Scottish International Houliston and John marked him out of the game. He played at Centre Half and Seasons later converted to Centre Forward, again never booked or sent off in his career with United.He was known here and in Italy as the "Gentle Giant"
I had the privilege of shaking his hand once when he was visiting a W.M.C. in Harehills.

What i find strange is that Friday's Daily Mail there is a Full page dedicated to John Charles and his life in Italy.
throughout the whole article there is not One mention of him Ever playing for Leeds United, where he began and ended his Glorious career.

jma

Post by jma »

In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.

There should be a least one of him in his Birthplace Swansea s [quote="jma"]In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.[

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="volvojack"][quote="jma"]In connection with tonight's match, I've read something in the last couple of days about Italians sightseeing in Cardiff being amazed that there's no statue of John Charles there.

There should be a least one of him in his Birthplace Swansea. Although Some Taffs now might say Gareth Bale
runs him close, onlt time will tell.