JOHN CHARLES

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Si

Post by Si »

fevlad wrote: simonm wrote: I think, if someone is a fan of a particualr pastime, then there are always going to be hero's to a city / fanbase of that sport, regardless of their heritage. The entire Revie team, plus a few before and after are hero's to me, cos LUAFC is my team. A too long a story, but I knew Revie and Bremner well, as a child and they are my all time fav hero's. However, I consider all of em to be the best! A while ago, Bobby Charlton was in Asda signing his biography. I walked past looking at him, he smiled at me and asked if I wanted his book and did I want it signing.. Ismiled back and just said, "Sorry, your the wrong Brother" He laughed and we chatted for a while at the recent downfall of LUAFC. Nice man, but not a patch on his Brother. Arr Jackie! JC probably kept his Leeds legend status of his continuing life in and around the city. there wasa third Charlton Brother-Graham I think, who played for Leeds. An injury put him out of the game before he could make his mark. He still lives in the Leeds area. I once had to share a sofa-bed with Jack, but it's a long story!...

edlong

Post by edlong »

Isn't the Commercial in Churwell "top 'oil"??

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Double post    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Fevlad. Not sure of your motives for posting this. There appears to be somethign hidden behind your posts. I can't quite work out why you would ask the question if you were actually around at the time? JC was huge he scored 150 goals for Leeds in less than 300 games then nearly 100 for Juve in 150 games. He helped Wales to a World Cup quarter final and many believe they might have beaten Brazil to make the semis had he not been injured (they actually only lost 1-0 to the evential winners).£65k in today's money may actaully onlty be a couple of million if you go by, say, average earnings but as it was a British Record transfer fee the more likely comparison would have to be about £30m.I guess you are more a rugby supporter.Wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Charles    
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: simonm wrote: I think, if someone is a fan of a particualr pastime, then there are always going to be hero's to a city / fanbase of that sport, regardless of their heritage. The entire Revie team, plus a few before and after are hero's to me, cos LUAFC is my team. A too long a story, but I knew Revie and Bremner well, as a child and they are my all time fav hero's. However, I consider all of em to be the best! A while ago, Bobby Charlton was in Asda signing his biography. I walked past looking at him, he smiled at me and asked if I wanted his book and did I want it signing.. Ismiled back and just said, "Sorry, your the wrong Brother" He laughed and we chatted for a while at the recent downfall of LUAFC. Nice man, but not a patch on his Brother. Arr Jackie! JC probably kept his Leeds legend status of his continuing life in and around the city. there wasa third Charlton Brother-Graham I think, who played for Leeds. An injury put him out of the game before he could make his mark. He still lives in the Leeds area. there were more than three of the charlton lads,read big jacks auto bio.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

thanks wiggy. Never knew that. I only found out about Graham by chance. did all of them play soccer?
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

leedsGreatestSon

Post by leedsGreatestSon »

I have come into contact with Jack Charlton on two separate occasions whilst working in the train station in leeds, and both times he was rude and his attitude stank. It's maybe down to his age and frustration at the situtation he was in, but there was no excuse for his behaviour. That is coming from a big leeds united fan as well. As Father Dougal said in Father Ted, "You should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed".

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

leedsGreatestSon wrote: I have come into contact with Jack Charlton on two separate occasions whilst working in the train station in leeds, and both times he was rude and his attitude stank. It's maybe down to his age and frustration at the situtation he was in, but there was no excuse for his behaviour. That is coming from a big leeds united fan as well. As Father Dougal said in Father Ted, "You should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed". not always thoughmy sporting heroes-ones who are still alive anyway are david Hobbs, Geoff Gunney and Vince Farrar.they are the nicest people you could wish to meet
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

Trojan

Post by Trojan »

edlong wrote: Isn't the Commercial in Churwell "top 'oil"?? Yes. I was wrong. The "top 'oil" is the Commercial the "middle 'oil" is the Fleece, and the "bottom 'oil" is the New Inn which is the one that John Charles kept in the eighties.
Industria Omnia Vincit

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

fevlad wrote: leedsGreatestSon wrote: I have come into contact with Jack Charlton on two separate occasions whilst working in the train station in leeds, and both times he was rude and his attitude stank. It's maybe down to his age and frustration at the situtation he was in, but there was no excuse for his behaviour. That is coming from a big leeds united fan as well. As Father Dougal said in Father Ted, "You should never meet your heroes, you'll only be disappointed". not always thoughmy sporting heroes-ones who are still alive anyway are david Hobbs, Geoff Gunney and Vince Farrar.they are the nicest people you could wish to meet i've met jack a couple of times and you've to speak to him,like he speaks to you,he's not giving it the big i am,he's just jack!i've spoke to norman h loads of times....usually in roundhay road tesco on friday around lunch time(dinner time in real speak...ok cnosni) and he's a real gent....look at all of us on here...sometimes we could rip each others gizzards out...sometimes we are placid,like burnsall in spring! Jacks' alreet....trust me.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?