JOHN CHARLES

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
roundhegian

Post by roundhegian »

fevlad wrote: roundhegian wrote: fevlad wrote: I don't have a problem with Charles, and his fame coincided with my own child hood so I have good meories of him. he even had a hit record with Ernie Ford's '16 tons', and no doubt he was a fine footballer.However, I've never quite understood his place in the Leeds pantheon of sporting heroes. Any ideas? The answer is very straightforward . In those pre-television days he was locally at least the George Best of his day .There was an urban myth that he would play centre-forward in the first-half to score goals for Leeds and centre-half in the second half to stop the opposing team scoring .He was the third or fourth football-league player to be signed by an Italian club for what in those days was a massive record-breaking fee .Arguably he is the best player ever to have played for Leeds . exactly, he left leeds in his prime: he went to Italy for fame and fortune. Leeds United wern't a very good team at the time anyway. Other people have contributed more to the sporting culture of the city than charles, and have remained in the city. The 1950s pre television?      The early 1950s were pre-television fopr most of us . At the time of the Coronation in 1953 only one house in the terraced street in which I lived had a television .
roundhegian

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

roundhegian wrote: fevlad wrote: roundhegian wrote: fevlad wrote: I don't have a problem with Charles, and his fame coincided with my own child hood so I have good meories of him. he even had a hit record with Ernie Ford's '16 tons', and no doubt he was a fine footballer.However, I've never quite understood his place in the Leeds pantheon of sporting heroes. Any ideas? The answer is very straightforward . In those pre-television days he was locally at least the George Best of his day .There was an urban myth that he would play centre-forward in the first-half to score goals for Leeds and centre-half in the second half to stop the opposing team scoring .He was the third or fourth football-league player to be signed by an Italian club for what in those days was a massive record-breaking fee .Arguably he is the best player ever to have played for Leeds . exactly, he left leeds in his prime: he went to Italy for fame and fortune. Leeds United wern't a very good team at the time anyway. Other people have contributed more to the sporting culture of the city than charles, and have remained in the city. The 1950s pre television?      The early 1950s were pre-television fopr most of us . At the time of the Coronation in 1953 only one house in the terraced street in which I lived had a television . the early 1`950s for surebut the decade saw a vast increase in tv ownership
I went down to the crossroads and got down on my knees

simonm

Post by simonm »

John Charles, as any of the past Leeds United team are hero's to the LUFC following. He was called the gentle giant and NEVER got a yellow card in his entire playing career. He is STILL honoured by the Italian Football league as the most popular and best foreign player to grace the fields of Italy. He was sold to make money for the club, who were cash strapped and in bad need of finances after the fire.when he came back he was never the same, but still ended his career in the city he adopted. As well as the bottom ole he also had a hotel over in Gildersome. I used to go there when he had it and he had a quiz on a sat night and anyone who could get the better of him he would give them a room and full board for night. He never had to, he was a very knowledgable sportsman.To Leeds United followers, JC and ALL those that played thier hearts out for the club are considered legends, Radebee being the last of avery long line, imho.Thats, imo, is why JC is considered a legend.    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

wiggy

Post by wiggy »

simonm wrote: John Charles, as any of the past Leeds United team are hero's to the LUFC following. He was called the gentle giant and NEVER got a yellow card in his entire playing career. He is STILL honoured by the Italian Football league as the most popular and best foreign player to grace the fields of Italy. He was sold to make money for the club, who were cash strapped and in bad need of finances after the fire.when he came back he was never the same, but still ended his career in the city he adopted. As well as the bottom ole he also had a hotel over in Gildersome. I used to go there when he had it and he had a quiz on a sat night and anyone who could get the better of him he would give them a room and full board for night. He never had to, he was a very knowledgable sportsman.To Leeds United followers, JC and ALL those that played thier hearts out for the club are considered legends, Radebee being the last of avery long line, imho.Thats, imo, is why JC is considered a legend.     you saved me a lot of typing simonm.......big john is the only player i can think of that had two testimonials,a well loved man.
i do believe,induced by potent circumstances,that thou art' mine enemy?

Leeds Lass

Post by Leeds Lass »

Sorry chaps, just bobbin in, won't be long, sorry to disturb, Wiggy, how do I find you on Facebook? Name or email please? Ta, Debx

uncle michael

Post by uncle michael »

John Charles was my brother in law.He is STILL worshiped in Italy and Leeds.What is thread all about ???

simonm

Post by simonm »

uncle michael wrote: John Charles was my brother in law.He is STILL worshiped in Italy and Leeds.What is thread all about ??? Nowt derogatory, just someone questioning why he was classed as a hero to Leeds fans. The initial poster is obviously not a football or Leeds united fan or they wouldn't have to ask the question. I met him several times and he always made me feel like a long lost friend. such a nice nice man. sad loss indeed and always a hero to me!    
I WANT TO BE IN THE "INCROWD" :)"Those who sacrifice Liberty for security deserve neither!!"

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

simonm wrote: uncle michael wrote: John Charles was my brother in law.He is STILL worshiped in Italy and Leeds.What is thread all about ??? Nowt derogatory, just someone questioning why he was classed as a hero to Leeds fans. The initial poster is obviously not a football or Leeds united fan or they wouldn't have to ask the question. I met him several times and he always made me feel like a long lost friend. such a nice nice man. sad loss indeed and always a hero to me!     it's been a very informative thread-much appreciated everyone.I knew a fair bit about charles from my childhood-that he was a fine player and a gentleman. But I couldn't quite get a handle on the impression he had made on the psyche of United fans, but also on the city of leeds, bearuing in mind all the other major characters in all sports that are associated with leeds.

simonm

Post by simonm »

I think, if someone is a fan of a particualr pastime, then there are always going to be hero's to a city / fanbase of that sport, regardless of their heritage. The entire Revie team, plus a few before and after are hero's to me, cos LUAFC is my team. A too long a story, but I knew Revie and Bremner well, as a child and they are my all time fav hero's. However, I consider all of em to be the best! A while ago, Bobby Charlton was in Asda signing his biography. I walked past looking at him, he smiled at me and asked if I wanted his book and did I want it signing.. Ismiled back and just said, "Sorry, your the wrong Brother" He laughed and we chatted for a while at the recent downfall of LUAFC. Nice man, but not a patch on his Brother. Arr Jackie! JC probably kept his Leeds legend status of his continuing life in and around the city.

fevlad

Post by fevlad »

simonm wrote: I think, if someone is a fan of a particualr pastime, then there are always going to be hero's to a city / fanbase of that sport, regardless of their heritage. The entire Revie team, plus a few before and after are hero's to me, cos LUAFC is my team. A too long a story, but I knew Revie and Bremner well, as a child and they are my all time fav hero's. However, I consider all of em to be the best! A while ago, Bobby Charlton was in Asda signing his biography. I walked past looking at him, he smiled at me and asked if I wanted his book and did I want it signing.. Ismiled back and just said, "Sorry, your the wrong Brother" He laughed and we chatted for a while at the recent downfall of LUAFC. Nice man, but not a patch on his Brother. Arr Jackie! JC probably kept his Leeds legend status of his continuing life in and around the city. there wasa third Charlton Brother-Graham I think, who played for Leeds. An injury put him out of the game before he could make his mark. He still lives in the Leeds area.