Seacroft Adventure Playground

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Does anyone here remember the 'Addy' on Kentmere Approach in the '70's? I used to spend hours playing in there with my mates when I was a kid. I often got chucked out for breaking the rules. but that was when kids on that estate were just brats rather than lawless ferrell chavs who seem to occupy the estate these days.

Laz

Post by Laz »

Yeah I remember it - near the chip shop I think?

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Yeah, right next to to Simpson's Chippy.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Sure do frisbee as you know! The good old days with no H&S. Terror death slides. 6 inch nails poking out of the climbing thingy's, space Invaders..Snotty kids, Day trips to Brid with Brian and chasing Raffles around ha ha         
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Lol Phil - You remember Raffles my sisters dog! What days they were. He'll never be forgotton. I think everyone on the estate knew Raffles. I must have had to goes to casualty about half a dozen times to get a tetnus shot after standing on a big rusty nail.I remember the trips during the summer holidays to Brid on rickety old buses and to Bolton Abbey. And bonfire nights when they'd do pie n' peas. And those huge tree houses made out of old telegraph poles.

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

frisbee wrote: Lol Phil - You remember Raffles my sisters dog! What days they were. He'll never be forgotton. I think everyone on the estate knew Raffles. I must have had to goes to casualty about half a dozen times to get a tetnus shot after standing on a big rusty nail.I remember the trips during the summer holidays to Brid on rickety old buses and to Bolton Abbey. And bonfire nights when they'd do pie n' peas. And those huge tree houses made out of old telegraph poles. Mate those were the days..All 23 years ago.! Yes good old Raffles..A legend, he was as mad as the kids., We'll not mention Gary, the stick & the chasing game we had lol I've been round there a few times recently. The Addy has long gone, The parade of shops all flattened. Half the houses too. Summer holidays around there were mad with kids playing. It's like a ghost town now         
A fool spends his entire life digging a hole for himself.A wise man knows when it's time to stop!(phill.d 2010)http://flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Forgot to mention old Wardy in the newsagents 'I thanking you sir' Pinhead & John Travolta Mark     

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Lol - Pinhead, the world's oldest paperboy! And remember the shop next to Wardy's that had millions of dead wasps in the window?Last year I was doing the elections for the council elections and i was assigned charge of the polling station on Kentmere Approach. What a wasteland, it looks like Beruit. The polling station was located in a potacabin right opposite the house I lived in, on the ground where those maisonette type flats over the road once stood, in front of the garages. Everything had been knocked down. No shops, no playground, even Asket Hill school had been bulldozed. Most of the houses on the side of the street where the shops stood have gone too. And the people who now live there ... jeez! The gardens are all tips with capped out cars parked on where lawns where. The garden privets had long gone.When I set up the polling station, I put a few huge signs outside that had POLLING STATION written in huge letters. One chav shouted across the street at me "Oi, why are they putting a POLICE station there!" After it got dark, the local chav's came out in force and started stoning us. I called the Police but they were reluctant to do anything apart from drive up and down the road a couple of times. If they ask me to do that location this year, I'm gonna turn it down.     

Phill_d

Post by Phill_d »

Yeah it's a shame how it is now. We were little sods. but good fun little sods. It was harmless stuff in those days.

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

Btw, Raffles - He used to always follow me and my sister's kids to the Addy. At first Brian used to make me take him outside but Raffles would just bark outside. He always find a way through a gap in the fence too. Brian eventually gave up and allowed us to bring Raffles into the Addy - but we had to pay 50p to make him a member.