Seacroft Adventure Playground

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

This is a blast from the past - I can remember it well although it was probably a Health and Safety nightmare. As has been said, there is simply nothing down there anymore, no Addy, no shops, no school and hardly any houses - the whole area seems to have just melted away! What happened?I used to walk through there on my way to Braimwood School (also gone!) and those shops were ideally placed to splash out on a Mr Freeze ice pop with my bus fare. Having been down there recently I don't know if I'd dare walk through there on my own now...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

jeffn

Post by jeffn »

raveydavey wrote: As has been said, there is simply nothing down there anymore, no Addy, no shops, no school and hardly any houses - the whole area seems to have just melted away! What happened? seems the whole area from kentmere thru to the askets is been torn down.The land must be worth a fortune, perhaps a new development coming up?

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

jeffn wrote: raveydavey wrote: As has been said, there is simply nothing down there anymore, no Addy, no shops, no school and hardly any houses - the whole area seems to have just melted away! What happened? seems the whole area from kentmere thru to the askets is been torn down.The land must be worth a fortune, perhaps a new development coming up? Probably as part of the EASEL project the council are always telling us is going to be the greatest thing to happen to East Leeds.It seems to be a land grab, with lots of council properties in Gipton and Seacroft being demolished and the land being handed over to a private developer on the promise of them including a few "low cost" homes in their plans, although I'm no expert. I know the residents of Gipton have kicked up a massive fuss about the speed at which this has been rushed through and the lack of consultation, but the residents of the Asketts, etc have already gone.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

my dad still lives on Kentmere Avenue and I went down kentmere Approach the other day - I didn't realise it was like that down there now, what a dump - I remember the Adventure Playground my brother used to play in there for hours and hours, Wards the Newpaper shop, simpsons the chippie. Suppose things must move on, but when the EASEL is put into place, where are the council houses going to be ??

ceejaylufc

Post by ceejaylufc »

raveydavey wrote: I used to walk through there on my way to Braimwood School (also gone!) and those shops were ideally placed to splash out on a Mr Freeze ice pop with my bus fare. Having been down there recently I don't know if I'd dare walk through there on my own now... Lol - think you went to Braimwood same time as I did, I remember being bussed out to Middlethorne and the weird hours we used to go to school, remember Miss Bowler - horrible creature she was !!sorry if this is in wrong thread

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

ceejaylufc wrote: Suppose things must move on, but when the EASEL is put into place, where are the council houses going to be ?? It doesn't look like there will be any. The only promise is that the developer will include "some affordable low cost housing" within the project.Having seen the rabbit hutch sized homes already getting thrown up in Gipton under this project (near Lidl), I dread to think what consititutes "affordable".

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

raveydavey wrote: ceejaylufc wrote: Suppose things must move on, but when the EASEL is put into place, where are the council houses going to be ?? It doesn't look like there will be any. The only promise is that the developer will include "some affordable low cost housing" within the project.Having seen the rabbit hutch sized homes already getting thrown up in Gipton under this project (near Lidl), I dread to think what consititutes "affordable". There does seem to be a policy, and certainly a related provision in the Unitary Development Plan, to inrease the density of building on any given site.That does mean less space per unit and I don't think living on top of your neighbours so to speak, is a good thing. Everyone needs there own little bit of space for freedom and privacy. I suspect it may well contribute to friction in the longer term, you need space to escape too when this happens. Certainly wouldn't suit me.

frisbee

Post by frisbee »

ceejaylufc wrote: raveydavey wrote: I used to walk through there on my way to Braimwood School (also gone!) and those shops were ideally placed to splash out on a Mr Freeze ice pop with my bus fare. Having been down there recently I don't know if I'd dare walk through there on my own now... Lol - think you went to Braimwood same time as I did, I remember being bussed out to Middlethorne and the weird hours we used to go to school, remember Miss Bowler - horrible creature she was !!sorry if this is in wrong thread Yeah, there recently a seperate thread about Braimwood, check it out if you can find it. I was in Baggy Bowler's class in the mid '70's, she was scary.

robertshaw

Post by robertshaw »

Yeah i remember it. Was a great pass time for us kids back then. Broke my arm on that tower, got pushed down fire pole.Can't believe how it looks around that area now. Those trips to Brid were ace, especially when bus struggled to get up Garrowby hill.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

robertshaw wrote: Yeah i remember it. Was a great pass time for us kids back then. Broke my arm on that tower, got pushed down fire pole.Can't believe how it looks around that area now. Those trips to Brid were ace, especially when bus struggled to get up Garrowby hill. I know that name Robertshaw lol.A sister called Cher?There is an old Seacroft and Whinmoor group on facebook, they were only talking about the addy last week. One of the girls posted a photo of Mark Weare in his John Travolta days lol https://www.facebook.com/groups/seacroftls14/
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!