Famous Sons of Leeds

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Scarlet_Diva

Post by Scarlet_Diva »

Ian R P wrote: Hi,I first saw them at that place in granary wharf supporting 'the ordinary boys'. No one took any notice but i'd already heard a couple of there songs and I thought they were ok, still do.There are loads of good bands around Leeds at the moment, best compiled on that 'Dance to the radio, compilation.My own personnal favourites are 'Lodger'.Just about remember The Mekons, though they were a bit before my time. I'm sure I once saw The 3 Johns on The Tube. Hiya, My mate saw them when they used to have a band called Parva. never mind. They are great but atm too much on telly, radio etc. I do really like The Cribs (does Wakefield count?), Pigeon Detectives, Hit and Runs (Bradford) and TSienna (Leeds), The Sunshine Underground, iFR and of course the wonderful Shut your eyes or you'll burst into flames (they were ace at the faversham on NYE )Saw TSienna 2 times. First time at The Mixin' Tin and then at Josephs Well and they are really really good Is Charles Stross from Leeds? My brother said that but I wont believe him.
i made a shrine to whine.....

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Bridewell Taxis anyone? Frankie Vaughan was of the Ableson family who ran the shed emporium on Thwaite Gate corner, swallowed up by First Direct.Weren't The Mission freom Leeds? Sister of Mercy too? Not really my cup o' tea but were fairly high profile for a while in the 80's. LFO's Mark Bell was from Lofthouse i recall. Good lad who got to work with Bjork and Depeche Mode as Producer. Bit of a techno wizzard (see attachment).http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sheath-LFO/dp/B0000C668I
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

munki

Post by munki »

The Sisters of Mercy & their 'Carry On Goth' offshoots The Mission were formed in Leeds & were very much Leeds bands... although Wayne Hussey was originally from Bristol & Andrew Eldritch was from somewhere in Cambridgeshire, I think.Eldritch still lives in Leeds some of the time, as far as I know.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

The Sisters, pictured somewhere in Leeds. Maybe St George's Field Cemetery on the University Campus?
Attachments
__TFMF_ncy1rk45p1luap45yevfar3e_7e498842-165b-4ee5-b967-13b8b6a5d993_0_MaintainAspect.jpg
__TFMF_ncy1rk45p1luap45yevfar3e_7e498842-165b-4ee5-b967-13b8b6a5d993_0_MaintainAspect.jpg (20.94 KiB) Viewed 1993 times
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

rikj

Post by rikj »

The Mekons played their 30th anniversary gig at the City Varieties on 6th June. I think it was recorded and will be out on CD.I much preferred the March Violets to the Sisters and Simon from the Violets is, I think, still around in Leeds. John Langford from the 3 Johns is also in The Mekons. It would be great to know if there is a "family tree" for the bands from Leeds.I used to live in a flat above one where Brandan Croker & The Five O'clock Shadows used to rehearse. I never had to go and see them as I was treated to the full set twice a week. Brendan used to sit outside in the garden playing blues songs on a steel guitar with his dog sitting at his feet. He's still very much in Leeds.P.S. The flat I lived in had previously been occupied by Mark Knopfler. Which is about my only musical claim to fame.

Brandy

Post by Brandy »

what about the late paul hunter RIP one hell of a brave lad....
There are only 10 types of people in the world -those who understand binary, and those that don't.

Ian R P

Post by Ian R P »

Good call about Paul Hunter, a great player and v brave lad.Sports wise we could do with Aaron Lennon, James Milner, Alan Smith and Micah Richards all back playing for their home town!There's loads of Rugby players and the odd cricketer Hutton, Illingworth, Hoggard, Craig White etc but can't think of many more sports personalities.

Reginal Perrin

Post by Reginal Perrin »

Howard Clark, top 80's golfer, from Swillington, ex Royds pupil. One of the best int he world on his day. Veronique Marot, world class long distance runner from a few years back.Adrian Moorhouse, world record and olympic champion swimmer.
Ravioli, ravioli followed by ravioli. I happen to like ravioli.

willo

Post by willo »

The Great George Best once described Paul Reaney as his most difficult opponent. Did Paul live in the Cross Green area in Leeds 9? Also there was Mick Hill, the world class javelin thrower, who represented his country and the City all over the world? Ralph Thoresby didn't throw the javelin but he was a famous Leeds Historian.Although certainly not a loiner, the infamous Harold Shipman lived on Wetherby Road in Leeds for a short while during his studying at Leeds University!
DGWilliams

stevief

Post by stevief »

I'll throw my cap into the ring with Frank Meadow Sutcliffe."Who?"Did I hear you say? Anyone who's been to Whitby and marvelled at the old B&W photos of the town and surrounding area are looking at the work of F.M. Sutcliffe.He was the'drapesy'of his day!!!Born in Headingley in 1853.