Slang

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

Re: Slang

Post by Leodian »

Plonk. I've not heard it said in ages but I'm not sure if it is slang or an accepted word in its use to sit down rather heavily, such as "Plonk yourself down". It came to my mind the other day when someone loaded with shopping sat down next to me on a bus with a heavy sigh of relief at sitting down! Interestingly plonk is used for cheap wine and playing a piano badly. Plonker means a stupid person but I don't know if that is derived from plonk.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

In the Heady days long ago when everyone seemed to be in employment and Workers were reasonably to pick and choose especially if they were a Tradesperson. Slang words for being sacked were used quite frequently. Expressions such as "Marching Orders"..."Tin Tac"...." "The Boot"...."The Pedlar".....The Bullet"
One i Never got Understood was "He has got his "Bladders"....
Last edited by volvojack on Mon 16 Jul, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Re Jack's post.
An old guy I knew. Used to call it DCM, don't
come Monday.
A twist in cdm which was Cadbury Dairy Milk
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

ClareFleming

Post by ClareFleming »

iansmithofotley wrote:Hi Jack,

With reference to 'Rhyming Slang' it reminds me of working on the public desk, in the front office, of Police Stations in Leeds in the 1960's/70's. On more than one occasion I received a telephone call, or a written report, from another Police Force to the effect that an officer had issued a Form HORT 1 to a driver to produce driving documents at the Leeds Police Station and the 'reply form', called a Form HORT 2, had not been returned after about two weeks. There was a request to check records and see if the driver had in fact produced his driving documents. When asked for the name and address of the driver, on more than one occasion the details given were Mr A.T. Leaf, 2 Gloucester Terrace, Leeds 12.

Ian
Hi Ian,

I'm trying to get in touch with you, could you drop me a line please? My email is [email protected]

Many thanks,

Clare

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

Hi Clare,

I have just seen your post. I have received a message from a friend (Gill) this afternoon to the effect that you were trying to contact me and I have already sent you an Email.

Ian

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Our Lass is from Bristol so when i first said "Sup your tea before it gets CLAP cold" she did not know what i meant.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thal ata learn her how to talk reet tha knows. :lol:
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Many years ago when ordering a couple of pints we would consider it also ask for "Two Jockeys dinners" meaning two packets of crisps.
Don't think i ever heard Kirkgate pronounced with both "K"s