Slang

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
dogduke

Re: Slang

Post by dogduke »

Following on from the urban rambler post..

The Ingram Arms,was it on Robson Street?.

No mention of it on Leodis
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

urban rambler

Post by urban rambler »

The article mentions the Prospect Pub being on Robson Street, but being quite young at the time, it appeared that almost every street had either a shop or pub at the end. They lived on Haymount Street and Hill Side Street so can't imagine it would have been too far from home.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

TABBYCAT wrote:
dogduke wrote:Does anyone remember a pound £ being called a bar and ten shillngs half a bar ?
Heard it last used roundabout the 60s

Yup use the terms even now especially when throwing shrapnel into the pot playing three card brag.

Deal me in TABBYCAT,
My shrapnel included Penies (Clod ) Threepenny bits, Tanners and just occasionally a Dina or a Chip (Shilling ) to make up the next bet.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

volvojack wrote:
TABBYCAT wrote:
dogduke wrote:Does anyone remember a pound £ being called a bar and ten shillngs half a bar ?
Heard it last used roundabout the 60s

Yup use the terms even now especially when throwing shrapnel into the pot playing three card brag.

Deal me in TABBYCAT,
My shrapnel included Penies (Clod ) Threepenny bits, Tanners and just occasionally a Dina or a Chip (Shilling ) to make up the next bet.
I remember talking about a Sov ( Sovereign) and half a Sov, also a Dollar and half a Dollar which was probably 5 shillings ( 5 bob) and half a crown.
Incidentally, in the 40's we used to get 4 US Dollars to the Pound so 5 shillings was equal to a dollar in value when the yanks were over here.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Here is one. I have not heard for a long long time.
S'long or so long.

Was a way of saying good bye.
Consciousness: That annoying time between naps.90% of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="dogduke"]Here is one. I have not heard for a long long time.
S'long or so long.

Was a way of saying good bye.

I do remember "Ta ra" meaning the same thing. althought this might have only been used between family mambers.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Also i remember see ya meaning the same thing.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

dogduke

Post by dogduke »

Another one relating to cash

Gelt
German or. Jewish origin ?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

dogduke wrote:Another one relating to cash

Gelt
German or. Jewish origin ?
Could be either.
In German spelt Geld but pronounced Gelt.
I suspect the Yiddish word Gelt comes from the German.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

Geld pronounced gelt is probably anglo saxon (a Germanic) Language or perhaps Norse. It was money collected in tax, now believed only later, to be coined (no pun intended) Danegeld by the Normans and being the money used by England's 10th century Kings (including the Dane, Canute) to pay of Viking raiders. In today's parlance extortion of protection money.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/