The earthquake in Wales Feb 17 2018 recorded on seismometer at Haverah Park near Leeds.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

The earthquake in Wales Feb 17 2018 recorded on seismometer at Haverah Park near Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

A 4.4 magnitude earthquake struck in south Wales today (Feb 17 2018). Though small in many world events it is a high magnitude earthquake for the UK. This short period frequency seismometer recording is taken from the British Geological Survey earthquake recording site at its Haverah Park site near Beckwithshaw just a little north of Leeds and shows well the record of the event. I did not though feel the event which happened shortly after 14:30.
Wales4.4MagEarthquakeFeb172018RecordedAtHaverahParkNearLeeds..jpg
Wales4.4MagEarthquakeFeb172018RecordedAtHaverahParkNearLeeds..jpg (216.79 KiB) Viewed 2837 times
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

buffaloskinner

Re: The earthquake in Wales Feb 17 2018 recorded on seismometer at Haverah Park near Leeds.

Post by buffaloskinner »

:o
I am not aware it reached this far north

oooops could be wrong

:arrow:
Attachments
Earthquake damage.jpg
Earthquake damage.jpg (135.86 KiB) Viewed 2810 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Re: The earthquake in Wales Feb 17 2018 recorded on seismometer at Haverah Park near Leeds.

Post by Leodian »

In a BBC News report of the event it states "The quake was felt over all of Wales, most of western England, as far east as London and as far north as the southern edge of the Lake District, the British Geological Survey (BGS) said". So yes it may not have been felt locally but it was strong enough to cause the large movement on the Haverah Park seismometer chart.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

I fancy I felt it here, but but it down at the time to a passing heavy truck. I certainly felt the previous UK big one.

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

harrym1byt wrote:I fancy I felt it here, but but it down at the time to a passing heavy truck. I certainly felt the previous UK big one.
I certainly felt it here ( 10 miles from Chester), and recognised it immediately for what it was. I felt 3 tremors in under 30 sec which felt as though someone was pushing my chair back and forth. This is the 4th "quake" we have experienced since living over here. If any of you feel like sending aid to the stricken zone I could use a brandy for my nerves.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

It was on the west coast centered of Swansea so felt on West rather than east although sensitive instruments would record it.A big one 4.4 by British Standards and quite shallow so surprising no damage anything over 5 tends to cause major damage.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!