The Christmas manger that used to be at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction.

Off-topic discussions, musings and chat
Leodian

The Christmas manger that used to be at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction.

Post by Leodian »

Passing along Commercial Street recently I recalled there used to be a regular Christmas manger display at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction. It will be many years now since it was last there so I wonder if anyone recalls when that was or will have an idea of when it was.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

volvojack

Re: The Christmas manger that used to be at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction.

Post by volvojack »

[quote="Leodian"]Passing along Commercial Street recently I recalled there used to be a regular Christmas manger display at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction. It will be many years now since it was last there so I wonder if anyone recalls when that was or will have an idea of when it was.

I just can't recall this although i really should. What i do remember are the Beautiful Christmas Displays in Lewis's
Department store windows They were very large windows all the way down the side of Headrow and no expense was spared on the displays. Most Families, including ours would go into Town in the Winter evenings to see these.
Each window featured some thing different ranging from a Christmas Manger to Santa out in Greenland and various other Wintery scenes.
For anyone who is to young to remember this fine multi storey Dept. store it it the one that was taken over in the early 1990s by Alders

buffaloskinner

Re: The Christmas manger that used to be at the Commercial Street/Lands Lane junction.

Post by buffaloskinner »

:roll:
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

This might jog your memory of Lewis's then.

Christmas 1953

:oops:
Attachments
Lewis's Christmas 1953.jpg
Lewis's Christmas 1953.jpg (220.05 KiB) Viewed 2248 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

My memory is certainly jogged, BS. Funny looking reindeer that :D

The nativity scene I remember best was the one in Central Station.

No Xmas was complete without a visit to Lewis's toy dept on the 3rd floor and Santa's grotto.
The window displays on the Headrow were also spectacular. Even when I was older and walking past them late at night I would always take time to admire them.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!