Web site issues?

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
harrym1byt

Web site issues?

Post by harrym1byt »

I'm seeing lots of issues with the site - many photos, maps and diagrams on the site are severally corrupted. I have just tried to PM someone I suspect I might know, but attempting to post the PM generates error pages. Lots of the headings and boxes seem to include the word 'COLON'.

Is this very useful and interesting site no longer being maintained please?

tyke bhoy

Re: Web site issues?

Post by tyke bhoy »

The site is being maintained but more like a hobby than as a full time job. It used to be run by Leeds City Council but was regularly beset with server problems. One of the people that ran if for LCC Duncan (DSCO) set up in a small IT firm and took over the ownership. I think he probably doesn't have as much time as he would like to dedicate to the site due to making a living through his business.

The colon and ellipsis references appeared last time Duncan tried a software upgrade of the forum software which also lost some of the visibility images/attachments. Images have also gone missing due to broken links because images have been removed from the original website or the website name or directory structure has been changed.

Your PM may have got through because occasionally submitting posts results in an error page showing but the post was successful.. Alternatively there maybe a setting preventing PMs from new users until they have reached a certain number of posts but I would have thought that would not be as high as your current 27.

One of a number of positives since Duncan took over is that downtime is almost unheard of.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

harrym1byt

Post by harrym1byt »

Thanks for the reply, it seems such a shame that a resource such as this is not being properly maintained, but I can understand the difficulties.

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

I also found it impossible t contact a member by IM.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

Good Morning,
When i come on site the first thing time every time is a part post from Leodian concerning the Yorkshire Evening Post and i can't seem to delete it in any way.
i have even tried posting it and then deleting it bt it just returns. I tried contacting Admin but had had no success so would appreciate if someone could erase this for me.
Thank You Jack Daly. (Volvojack)

jma

Post by jma »

I'm not any sort of expert on computers, but until one comes along, I'll suggest this is caused by the way you are reaching this site. I presume you are using some sort of shortcut or bookmark, and I fancy you are using one which includes the post you don't want. If I'm right, you can correct this by searching by typing in secretleeds.com which should take you straight to the home page. Alternatively, you can check by looking at the bar on you screen which shows the address of the page you are on (no idea of the correct name for this bar.) If you see something like secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f= followed by gobbledegook, that's because your search is taking you to that topic, rather than the home page.

volvojack

Post by volvojack »

[quote="jma"]I'm not any sort of expert on computers, but until one comes along, I'll suggest this is caused by the way you are reaching this site. I presume you are using some sort of shortcut or bookmark, and I fancy you are using one which includes the post you don't want. If I'm right, you can correct this by searching by typing in secretleeds.com which should take you straight to the home page. Alternatively, you can check by looking at the bar on you screen which shows the address of the page you are on (no idea of the correct name for this bar.) If you see something like secretleeds.com/viewtopic.php?f= followed by gobbledegook, that's because your search is taking you to that topic, rather than the home page.

Hello jma,
Thanks for you reply but i am just doing what i have alwas done, gone into Google and at the top of the page is Secret Leeds this then normally takes me to forum and the last posted entry..
Now getting this instead each time makes me wonder if i have tried to add to Leodians Yorks Post entry and i am now stuck with it.
Bookmarks etc. are way above my head,
Thanks again for prompt reply. Jack Daly.

jma

Post by jma »

I think the main thing is that if this was a website problem, we'd probably all be experiencing it.

All the various search engines and associated programs try to be helpful but don't always achieve it. One is by tending to assume that you want to repeat whatever you did last time which is OK unless you want to do something else. I'm pretty sure you are not stuck with it, so long as you start from further back. Depending on which browser you are using to start your search, you will have a space where you can type in what you want. That's the place to be.

Type in secretleeds.com and nothing else before pressing return or enter. That should bring up a list of hits. My list at that stage includes

SecretLeeds - History, culture and architecture in Leeds ...

Select that and you should be on the home page.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Hi i dont know a lot about computers what i do is go to google put in secret leeds. This takes me to a choice of secret leeds sites the second one down says secret leeds and forums i click on this site this takes me to our site.I then click on forums top left then the currant topics come up.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Whichever browser you are using, ie. Edge, Explorer, Firefox or Chrome you will have in your favourites a folder called Favourites Bar.
If you type into the address bar at the top of your browser the following (see pic)
http://secretleeds.com/index.php or follow this link it will take you to the main forum page of Secret Leeds.
Once the Secret Leeds forums page has loaded on screen then go to your favourites and save to the Favourites Bar, then Secret Leeds will always be at the top of your browser (see pic)

Hope this helps.
Attachments
address bar in Edge browser.JPG
address bar in Edge browser.JPG (19.41 KiB) Viewed 11291 times
Favourites Bar.jpg
Favourites Bar.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 11291 times
Favoutites Bar in browser.JPG
Favoutites Bar in browser.JPG (28.99 KiB) Viewed 11291 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?