Trojan Swifi

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
Leodian

Trojan Swifi

Post by Leodian »

While on the SL site I have just now twice had a security alert from my Norton security in that it has removed the Trojan Swifi of which I have now found "Trojan.Swifi is a Trojan horse that may be downloaded from a Web site and exploits a vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player.". It came as a shock to see an alert flagged up! I thought I would mention it just in case it is somehow infecting SL despite it not being (as far as I know) anything to do with Adobe Flash Player.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

dsco
Site Admin

Re: Trojan Swifi

Post by dsco »

Hi thanks for reporting this Leodian, I'll look into it. It seems to be related to the ads from what I can tell, I suspect it will have been squished by Google already but will investigate further tomorrow. Let me know if you keep getting the warnings, I don't use anti virus software (or Windows for that matter) so can't easily test it from here.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

buffaloskinner

Post by buffaloskinner »

Leo
If you open Norton Security and click on Advanced then under Computer Protection click on Quarantine (in yellow) and click on the name of the threat Swifi then in the box at the right hand side click on more options and it may tell you how its got there and with what programme or download.
Attachments
Norton.jpg
Norton.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 7574 times
Is this the end of the story ...or the beginning of a legend?

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

Thanks dsco for your help. I hope I don't put you to too much work.

Thanks also buffaloskinner for your help. I have a paid for Norton 360 Premier but I cannot find an Advanced tab nor then the other action that you mention, though oddly when I searched a Support section it stated the method you gave!

I have though checked my laptop Security history and in the information to the 'Trojan, Swifi' threat it recorded "Severity: High", "Status: Quarantined", "Origin: Not available", "Recommended action: Resolved. No action required". It happened twice within about 7 minutes, the second after the first time had been removed so it presumably had come back. I don't know if quarantined means there is a Quarantined file somewhere but if there should be I cannot readily find it.

Just to be sure all is apparently well I have done a full system scan and after having at least just under 800,000 files scanned (the last figure I spotted a little while before the scan ended) it reported all was OK.

Edit added at about 21:27. I accessed SL about 10 to 15 minutes back and the Trojan was again detected and resolved. Out of interest I then accessed SL using Firefox (my usual use is Internet Explorer) and there was nothing detected for the few minutes I was there so I've come back to SL using IE and so far after several minutes there has been nothing detected.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I've already had the security alert several times today and not just on SL. I've just had a look at a Norton website forum and found that many others are reporting they are also getting the same alerts. Some think it may be related to adverts but others think it may be a false positive detection. I don't know if it just being found by Norton or if other virus detection systems are also finding it.