Timeout expired message on Active Threads link

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Yes it's playing up again, and I have to say it's to the detriment of the site now.Hardly anything new is being posted, and there is very little input at all. It's been very quiet the last week. Perhaps it's time to have a bit of a publicity drive on Duncan's part perhaps? I think we've lost a lot of users since the site crashed before Christmas, and these latest time out crashes aren't helping.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Just spent over an hour trying to get onto s/l managed to get on once I left one thread to read another and got the time out message so things not too good at the moment.Had the same problem last night try as i might i just cant get in i know when i have posted this i will be unable to get back on site.PS Duncan please dont think im getting at you i know your doing your best its just a pain in the bum at the moment.    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

Hi TillyI have found that if I don't use the "Active Threads" method of accessing the site, but instead Google "Secret Leeds Forums" I stand a far better chance of success. I then scroll down the forums list and click on to the ones that show a time and date later than the last time I looked in. When I want to proceed to another item I do not use the site's buttons, but use the "Back" arrow at the top left of the screen instead.It takes a little getting used to when you are accustomed to the more usual ways of getting round the site but (touch wood) this method is reasonably successful at the moment.Hope this helps. Best wishes.Jim.

Si

Post by Si »

I am also finding that the Jim Method works best.

tilly

Post by tilly »

Thanks for that Jim as you can see im in. Sid    
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

jim

Post by jim »

Cheers Sid.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

I'm going to be working on optimising the site database over the weekend, which is (I think) what's causing the slow load/timeout issue. I've spent the last week doing dry runs on a test version. Fingers crossed that will help the situation. Apologies for the inconvenience/frustration - believe me, it's doing my head in too
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

jim

Post by jim »

Thanks for your efforts and updates on progress Duncan.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Hi there, just to let you know that I'm still working on a proper fix but I've found a way to reduce the problem in the meantime. Active Threads is now limited to the last 24 hours, rather than the last 48. This seems to have reduced the load time to something fairly acceptable. I know it's not perfect but it's a step in the right direction!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

The active threads link seems to be working fine just now. Thanks dsco.
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.