Deleted threads and the security of the site data

Don't know your RSS from your HTML? Click here
Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Noticed another thread has "dissappeared" - some months ago I created a thread about Charles Dickens in Leeds but now can't see it with a search or in my threads.I know threads do get deleted if they break the rules but I can't understand why this particular thread should have been deleted - it contained some fascinating comments made by Charles Dickens during his visit to Leeds in 1866.If threads are being deleted at random then it brings into question the security of the data on the site. There is a lot of valuable research material and it would be a shame to lose this for future generations.Could the site have been hacked?

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Noticed another thread has "dissappeared" - some months ago I created a thread about Charles Dickens in Leeds but now can't see it with a search or in my threads.I know threads do get deleted if they break the rules but I can't understand why this particular thread should have been deleted - it contained some fascinating comments made by Charles Dickens during his visit to Leeds in 1866.If threads are being deleted at random then it brings into question the security of the data on the site. There is a lot of valuable research material and it would be a shame to lose this for future generations.Could the site have been hacked? Threads which attract no interest can be deleted to save space however, if there is information of interest for future reference, it is left for that very reason - even with no responses. No responses can indicate no one is interested but that is often a judgement call. I don't recall seeing this one when I last trolled through in the aftermath of recent events. someone may have deleted accidentally, nothing's perfect - I'm not aware of Dickens in Leeds - do you have the info to repost?    (Storage is expensive so choices have to be made sometimes and we're long overdue a tidy-up but, that really means going through every thread!!!)    

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Yes I'll try to repostI'm curious - does anyone know if this site is archived? Seem to recall there are sites that store historical websites. It would be useful if this site was replicated by a USENET group - that way the data would be distributed around the world.Failing that - is it possible to download the entire site for backup.    

chemimike

Post by chemimike »

It seems to be archived for 2007 and early 2008 at http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.secretleeds.com

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Given the threatened cuts in public spending for the next financial year, perhaps it would be prudent to have the site backed up in case a decision is taken to withdraw funding?At least then the important historical stuff could be saved for future use.
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

raveydavey wrote: Given the threatened cuts in public spending for the next financial year, perhaps it would be prudent to have the site backed up in case a decision is taken to withdraw funding?At least then the important historical stuff could be saved for future use. Very good point raveydavey - will this site be available 2, 10 or 100 years from now or will all the information be lost.

The Parksider

Post by The Parksider »

chameleon wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: Noticed another thread has "dissappeared" - some months ago I created a thread about Charles Dickens in Leeds but now can't see it with a search or in my threads.I know threads do get deleted if they break the rules but I can't understand why this particular thread should have been deleted - it contained some fascinating comments made by Charles Dickens during his visit to Leeds in 1866.If threads are being deleted at random then it brings into question the security of the data on the site. There is a lot of valuable research material and it would be a shame to lose this for future generations.Could the site have been hacked? Threads which attract no interest can be deleted to save space however, if there is information of interest for future reference, it is left for that very reason - even with no responses. No responses can indicate no one is interested but that is often a judgement call. I don't recall seeing this one when I last trolled through in the aftermath of recent events. someone may have deleted accidentally, nothing's perfect - I'm not aware of Dickens in Leeds - do you have the info to repost?    (Storage is expensive so choices have to be made sometimes and we're long overdue a tidy-up but, that really means going through every thread!!!)     Don't lose mi mining/foundry thread until I extract the info this week!!!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

The Parksider wrote: chameleon wrote: Leeds Hippo wrote: Noticed another thread has "dissappeared" - some months ago I created a thread about Charles Dickens in Leeds but now can't see it with a search or in my threads.I know threads do get deleted if they break the rules but I can't understand why this particular thread should have been deleted - it contained some fascinating comments made by Charles Dickens during his visit to Leeds in 1866.If threads are being deleted at random then it brings into question the security of the data on the site. There is a lot of valuable research material and it would be a shame to lose this for future generations.Could the site have been hacked? Threads which attract no interest can be deleted to save space however, if there is information of interest for future reference, it is left for that very reason - even with no responses. No responses can indicate no one is interested but that is often a judgement call. I don't recall seeing this one when I last trolled through in the aftermath of recent events. someone may have deleted accidentally, nothing's perfect - I'm not aware of Dickens in Leeds - do you have the info to repost?    (Storage is expensive so choices have to be made sometimes and we're long overdue a tidy-up but, that really means going through every thread!!!)     Don't lose mi mining/foundry thread until I extract the info this week!!!! I'll be at the head of the war party if that went awol!!I once started to print out the threads - don't even think about it - we can't aford to loose the trees

Leeds Hippo

Post by Leeds Hippo »

Found a site run by the British Library that may be of usehttp://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa/info/nominateI've nominated the secret leeds site - might help of others do the same to persuade the British Library to archive this valuable resource - Thanks

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Leeds Hippo wrote: Found a site run by the British Library that may be of usehttp://www.webarchive.org.uk/ukwa/info/nominateI've nominated the secret leeds site - might help of others do the same to persuade the British Library to archive this valuable resource - Thanks That's a good find - after all, they archive every book there, as trends change, seems only right to archive electronic publications and documentary data in the same way.