Posters ??

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
j.c.d.

Posters ??

Post by j.c.d. »

Is the site out of order or has no one really posted anything, on any subject since last Wednesday ?? though I do not post much myself I do enjoy reading all the comments , even allowing for holidays etc. it does seem strange to have no offerings for nearly a week,
"Puzzled of Gloucester" (ex. Beeston)

P.s. Guess I have answered my own question.....

tyke bhoy

Re: Posters ??

Post by tyke bhoy »

It probably is a quiet time of year but there was a fault which certainly wouldn't help. I reported the fault to Duncan on Thursday morning and unfortunately it still appeared to be happening late yesterday afternoon despite Duncan's efforts since Thursday. I couldn't login on a PC and therefore couldn't even attempt to post. On my Android tablet and smartphone I was still logged in but any attempt to post came up with a similar error to the one encountered when trying to login on the PC. Bizarrely I couldn't log out on the Android devices.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

blackprince

Post by blackprince »

I must admit, jcd, I've had the same thought myself. I suspect that many people only communicate using social media these days. I recall some acrimonious discussion here a while back about a breakaway facebook group. Maybe that has taken much of the "traffic" that used to appear here. This is speculation on my part because I never use facebook or twitter, so maybe someone else could confirm or deny my suspicion about this trend ( preferably not on Facebook :) ).
I read recently that in Silicon Valley nobody uses e-mail anymore and even FB & Twitter are old hat. What Silicon Valley does today the Aire valley does in 5? years time :)
An observation of my own is that I run a non-commercial special interest website which has had about 17000 hits since I set it up a decade ago. The no. of page views is about the same as always but the big difference is that the number who contact me by e-mail from the site has dropped from 3 or 4 per month to 1 or 2 per year.
It used to be said that the statue of the Black Prince had been placed in City Square , near the station, pointing South to tell all the southerners who've just got off the train to b****r off back down south!

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

blackprince wrote: I recall some acrimonious discussion here a while back about a breakaway facebook group. Maybe that has taken much of the "traffic" that used to appear here. This is speculation on my part because I never use facebook or twitter, so maybe someone else could confirm or deny my suspicion about this trend ( preferably not on Facebook :) ).
The facebook page was "promoted" as an alternative to here on the Leeds Forum during the last outage. I'm not sure how many SL posters also attempt to post on the FB page. Note the word attempt because content will be heavily censored before it sees the light of day, if at all. As one poster on both sites discovered mention of the existence of this site is verboten.
living a stones throw from the Leeds MDC border at Lofthousehttp://tykebhoy.wordpress.com/

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Apologies don't know what happened on the technical front last week but seems to be resolved now. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

dsco wrote:Apologies don't know what happened on the technical front last week but seems to be resolved now. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Thanks for sorting it out dsco (Duncan?) :). As it was not immediately fixed I assumed you must have been away ;).
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.

liits

Post by liits »

I look in a couple of time per day [if for no other reason than to see where / what Leodian had been photographing] but there has not been anything of late to which I could add anything.
I am about to start a new thread with what is certainly a daft question but one to which I don't know the answer but I'm sure somebody will.
Lastly, I was away at a wedding at the weekend and there was another SL member there. He would love to post on here but cant [since site refurb] because he deleted the email with his new password and he has ask for a new one without a reply.

raveydavey

Post by raveydavey »

Busy with work and other stuff is my excuse - although the lack of posts can become a vicious circle.
Fewer posts means less to chat about, which means fewer posts...
I'm sure a few frequent posters have moved into the rival FB site too, but as I don't do FB its just speculation...
Speaking the Truth in times of universal deceit is a revolutionary act – George Orwell

tyke bhoy

Post by tyke bhoy »

An we are back again, after another 24 hours "downtime" ;)

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Apologies all - it was a database size issue causing the problem. We were teetering on the brink of the size limit for the server. Previously I'd done some little bits to try and manage the size. I've had a proper clearout this time though, and we are now well under half capacity, so this issue shouldn't resurface for a while at least. Thanks for your patience, Duncan
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.