Lost hippy/head shops

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
ghl

Lost hippy/head shops

Post by ghl »

Hello. Could anyone tell the name of a clothing/ accessories hippy type head shop that started near leeds university and moved to the city center i think it was king edward street in the 90s just round the corner from boodle am....if anyone could help it would be appreciated.

dsco
Site Admin

Re: shop name

Post by dsco »

Paraphenalia was a hippie type shop up near the uni when I was a kid in the 80s - wasn't aware it moved to the city centre though, so perhaps not the one you're thinking of.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

iansmithofotley

Post by iansmithofotley »

ghl

Post by ghl »

Hi guys.thanks for the replies its not boodle am as that was round the coner from the shop in victoria center but i think it could be paraphnalia as i thought that may be it but wasnt sure.you know what they say "it can affect your memory" :roll: .Thanks again :D

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

If I remember correctly, which is not always the case, before the shop was called Paraphenalia, it was called Danby's. That would be in the 70's.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Dalehelms wrote:If I remember correctly, which is not always the case, before the shop was called Paraphenalia, it was called Danby's. That would be in the 70's.
Attachments
Danbys.jpeg
Danbys.jpeg (10.55 KiB) Viewed 18476 times

ghl

Post by ghl »

Cheers for the replies guys''''but i have just got it ,,dragged it out from the back of my memory somehow..i thought it maybe paraphanila but its not its SCYTHROP.... used to be on woodhouse lane for years then moved to the city center ,,, once again thanks for the input.........

mhoulden

Post by mhoulden »

Here's a photo of Scythrop on Leodis when it was still on Queen Square/Woodhouse Lane.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

Scythrop on Raglan Road in 1980
Attachments
Scythrop.jpeg
Scythrop.jpeg (18.69 KiB) Viewed 18399 times

tilly

Post by tilly »

I will say this uncle mick you always come up with the goods keep up the good work.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.