content of messages

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
Marshy

Post by Marshy »

I think that swearing is so unnecessary because we have such a beautiful language we can get "the message" over by being so polite it can be downright rude. Also it baffles people and they are left wondering what it means. I have brought up 4 sons and a daughter with this as my banner and it has worked brilliantly.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

I'm not sure whether this is a negative or positive comment or a question but to reply to the topic in general as I've not seen it discussed on its own:As far as I can tell there is no actual swearing on this forum and what there is is censored or hinted at -- the tone of conversation being a lot more polite than in a typical Leeds taproom This is one of the more friendly and "grown up" places I have been on the internet and whilst I, personally, don't mind some harsh language I think this site benefits from the family-friendly style and friendly attitude.

kango

Post by kango »

I think it would be more accurate to say that over time it has become more family friendly, although asterisks etc still occasionally make an appearance, albeit against forum rules. In the beginning (pre swear filter) some posts were a bit ripe to say the least with one or two bans being issued and sadly those posts still exist in threads various some positively vile however jokingly put at the time.Happily We have got past all that but a reminder of part of the forum rules, as per Duncan,won't go amiss for any newcomers."..Keep it cleanPlease don't use foul language, swearing or other offensive language on this site. There is an automatic filter for many swearwords which replaces the offending blooper with the words "<edited for content>". That sorts out many such incidents. However, some folks think using asterisks, blanked out letters, or other such things makes it OK to swear. It isn't, please don't do it.Don't get me wrong - I swear like a trooper at the best of times, it's all part of the rich tapestry of the English language to be used as and when appropriate. But this is a public funded website for all the people of Leeds and beyond - it isn't appropriate here..."        

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

As other folk have said we do try to keep Secret Leeds a friendly and inclusive place Marshy. If you spot anything inappropriate on the site let me know via ask@tyrell.mobi.I'm going to close this thread now, as I'm not sure what the point was and it seems rather out of context.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.