Improving SecretLeeds

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
Croggy1
Site Admin

Post by Croggy1 »

I agree that the mods do a great job.Would it be possible to have a 'report this post' button to help alert mods to posts that require attention, be it duplications to be merged, moved to other sections or spam to be deleted.

jim

Post by jim »

Croggy1 wrote: 'report this post' button Good suggestion.    

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

jim wrote: Croggy1 wrote: 'report this post' button Good suggestion.     Agreed. I've used the same on my own posts, never mind others, on other forums when I've later realised it was a duplicate or otherwise out of place.

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Phill_dvsn wrote: And yes I acknowledge you do a good deal of keeping the site in order Chameleon, in fact it is you who springs to mind if anyone needed a good example of how moderating a forum should be. It would be nice to see it set a standard for the new look site      (we don't have a blushing smiley code. . . Ta )

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

jim wrote: Surely the PM situation is dealt with by the ability we have to place an email address on our site profiles? We can always invite those who do not wish to place their email addresses on the site to contact us by using ours, and accept that they may not wish to do so. In my own case, my regular email address contains my personal name, so I set up another one which maintains my anonymity to allow me to use my discretion as to who I respond to - it hasn't happened yet! I can understand and appreciate anyone's reluctance to publish an email address or a allow a contact method on such a public forum, and feel that personal decisions on this matter should be respected.     One can always set-up a second account to match their screen name to protect their personal mail box, as in my sign-off.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dsco wrote: I'd also like to chip in and say that the mods do a great job within the site's limited technical capabilities. Obviously there's always room for improvement and hopefully we'll be able to combine duplicate threads effectively one of these days That'd better be a promise or Santa won't be coming to your house this Christmas

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Croggy1 wrote: In my experience using and moderating forums (fora?) I find personal messaging a very useful tool to correspond with users. For example, a pm can be sent letting them know why a post has been deleted, without having to have a big 'on site' discussion/argument about it.As for "pm'd you" "ok, thanks" type posts, I wouldn't think you would get many on this type of forum, and if they are deleted by the mods, people should soon get the hint not to do it. Finger's aching with callouses already matey

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

Can I just say - coming home to see so many posts to read is a little daunting -until I get into them and see the level of interest and genuinely constructive comments - pluses ans minuses are all good - otherwise nobody knows what's on yor mind or how things might be done to help if possible. I know dsco agrres with this too.Cheers folks

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

chameleon wrote: One can always set-up a second account to match their screen name to protect their personal mail box, as in my sign-off.     This is true, but I already have 8 or 9 mailboxes to look at so setting up another tends to get tedious.Most private message setups tend to allow you to ignore people and they're a lot easier to manage than email as you only see them when you have time to visit the forum. Again, I visit a fair few forums/websites with varying levels of regularity (SL being one of my favourite but, sadly, one I can contribute to least).

LS1

Post by LS1 »

chameleon is emial a new way to make contact (he he just kidding!)