Improving SecretLeeds

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
liits

Post by liits »

I see we now have adverts. I must admith that they are very modest and nowhere near as intrusive as I though they would be. I can live with this [and I don't mind the background pic either - infact, I love it!]

jim

Post by jim »

The advert is indeed unobtrusive. Perhaps the pest control one might be more at home on the various Dark Arches Threads!How about a compromise on the background - reduce the brown tone by an appropriate amount, as the content is fine, just that it is a little too prominent.    

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

dsco wrote: @Jim - good point about the background resizing for long links/big images by the way, it's dead annoying that. I've no idea where the fix might be to that issue, but I'll put it on the (ever-growing) todo list Stretched screens are a bind, converting large links into short cuts (tinyurl, etc) sorts them out but it would be better if a word-wrap type solution could be found - trying to split links into several lines invariably breaks them.It is simple for posters using the image tag to link to pictures to resize them firdt - very time consuming to do it retrospectively as a housekeeping task!Thread title length can also artificially extend the page with, I'm amended numerous to reverse this result.Like the Wiki idea, worth pursuing, but not sure about breaking down long threads in the way suggested, as daunting as it is to encounter so much reading, I suspect this would lead to fewer people looking back and even more risk of duplicating data. And yes, it is an avid reader who recalls all that is posted. I think I have a pretty good recall ability but despite that, being sure something is there, let alone where is becoming difficult, particularly after some months absence!

munki

Post by munki »

dsco wrote: I'll bear that in mind Jim - me mam doesn't like the new background either It was only a temporary measure to be honest, I'll see what I can do to tone it down a bit. It's a big file as well, which slows down the first load of the site.@munki - yes exactly, books, exhibitions, all that good stuff, would be also made radically easier by the development of a wiki. with GPS and mapping functions too. On which note I was contacted recently about helping to produce a book, called "Leeds Now and Then" or similar, which pairs old photos of Leeds with a new photo of the same location. Which all sounds very "What and Where". Do folk think we should get involved? I've emailed asking for more details, will let you know if I hear anything back. Could be a nice first step into real world publishing!     I've read a couple of the other 'Now and Then' publications - they do them for a lot of cities. Even though they are a little light on text, they managed to make Milton Keynes sound intersting so they must be doing something right!
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

munki

Post by munki »

jim wrote: The advert is indeed unobtrusive. Perhaps the pest control one might be more at home on the various Dark Arches Threads!How about a compromise on the background - reduce the brown tone by an appropriate amount, as the content is fine, just that it is a little too prominent.     I think a slightly more faded out map might be good, too.
'Are we surprised that men perish, when monuments themselves decay? For death comes even to stones and the names they bear.' - Ausonius.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Points noted regarding the background, I'll tweak it a bit.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Tasa

Post by Tasa »

Another vote in favour of the background map here, although I failed to see the repeat pattern the first time and was confused to see Hyde Terrace south of Holbeck Station I see we also have a bookmark icon - very smart!I only noticed the adverts when Liits mentioned them, so they are certainly not detracting from the main site

Dalehelms

Post by Dalehelms »

I've just noticed we have a new bookmark icon for the site. Thank you.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Glad you like the new bookmark, or "favicon" to give it its correct (and very snappy!) web name     
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

uncle mick

Post by uncle mick »

dsco wrote: Glad you like the new bookmark, or "favicon" to give it its correct (and very snappy!) web name      I bet Mark Zuckerberg is quaking in his boots