Improving SecretLeeds

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

Wot no adverts??I had to fire up Internet Explorer to see what these adverts were. I have some ad blocker add on for my Firefox browser and couldn't see any.Great news that emphasis is being put on making the site easier to use, and more user friendly at last, although after all this time the prospect seems a little daunting.As for massive images being posted and making the screen too big.I do think we should have a far better F&Q and help section giving guidelines. What subjects can be covered, a few forum rules. A help section on what the biggest photo (file size) can be added, or some softwear that reduces the photo size displayed. Help how people can also post images from photo sharing sites like photobucket, image shack and flickr e.t.c, and what codes to use, all forums have this info. A link to this image re-size tool would be goodhttp://imageresizer.codeplex.com/I do think it would be a shame not to use peoples knowledge about certain subjects. People spring to mind for being the beer meister, knowledge of transport, and holy wells and spas e.t.c. I think it would make managing the different sections on S.L much easier if a dedicated person with good knowledge on that subject moderated those threads by keeping things in order, merge things, add relevant tags and keywords, delete dead and duplicate threads e.t.c.            
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

Speaking of 'then and now' projects, there's already a few threads on here. http://www.secretleeds.com/forum/Messag ... D=4308Back to the forum content, I find the background map distracting too. And I'm not sure splitting threads would make things easier if we're aiming to cut down on duplication...

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

@Phill - bloody ad-blocking freeloader, you think this site is going to pay for itself eh? Watch out or I'll get all 4OD on you...Good thoughts on an FAQ/help section and I tend to agree about having mods for different sections, though we'll have to see what other folk (particularly the mods!) think.I'm on it with the image resizer issue already, going to replace the current one with something that actually works (hopefully - and I don't promise it will be soon either, got to figure out how it all works first!)
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Derculees

Post by Derculees »

Derculees wrote: I could'nt find login until I opened this thread. That's because you've been using explorer, using chrome works fine.Hope this helped.
Touch not but the glove

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

OK,heres my pennies worth regards dedicated Mods.I would hope that Mods are selected because of the standard their "abilities" to undertake the position in a way thats deemed to be reasonable,yet firm when required,and i hope that i,as well as other Mods ,are seen as such by other members.An "expert" on a certain suject may well be "qualified" in maintaining the integrity and direction of a particular thread/threads/subject but does that mean they (the dedicated Mod)possess the qualities required of actual moderation?Also,how do you ensure that each thread/subject is moderated on a daily basis?I for one cannot,due to my shift patterns/family commitments,get on SL everyday and and check every thread.However, i know that one or more of the other Mods are doing just that,going through all the active threads and checking them.If we have dedicated Mods for dedicated threads then at some stage we will have threads/subjects that will not be monitored.On the whole this would not be a problem,however,as we know,we do have problems on this site from time to time,and who is to say that if a Mod of a certain subject does not,for whatever reason,log on and pick up on any shennanigans on a particular day,that we could have a situation where things get wildly out of control (again).The set up as it is ensures a relatively balanced level of moderation across all subjects on this site from all the Mods.I feel that if we start having Mods for each subject then we run the real risk of fragmentation as each Mod will think that they only have to check their own back garden,leaving other parts to become a bit overgrown so to speak.I also feel that we have the potential for a great deal of discrepancy with regards to a commonly accepted level of moderation between subjects .Personally i get a bit peeved of being the "Peacemaker" during online conflicts,i can find better things to do with my Saturday nights,and i would welcome more "Proactive" Mods on the site,but my preference would be for general ones,not specific ones.Thats my view anyway
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

jim

Post by jim »

+1

tilly

Post by tilly »

Theres nothing wrong with your view cnosni im with you all the way.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Good points well made Cnosni.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

dsco wrote: @Phill - bloody ad-blocking freeloader, you think this site is going to pay for itself eh? Watch out or I'll get all 4OD on you... My AdBlock/NoScript combination means I don't get adverts on 4OD or ITV Player, just the closing and opening titles for teh programs. I do feel guilty when I block adverts on sites like this though.

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

I agree with Chris about not having dedicated mods,much easier to hve people who are willing to give up time to moderate all and who should be thanked for doing it.
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!