Improving SecretLeeds

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
Jogon

Post by Jogon »

BarFly wrote: dsco wrote: @Phill - bloody ad-blocking freeloader, you think this site is going to pay for itself eh? Watch out or I'll get all 4OD on you... My AdBlock/NoScript combination means I don't get adverts on 4OD or ITV Player, just the closing and opening titles for teh programs. I do feel guilty when I block adverts on sites like this though. You dunno what're missing mate ps>Insant Teeth WhiteningSmileLikeaCelebrity.co.uk Guaranteed Results in 30 minutes! Leeds City Centre or Home treatment<grinlikeabigeejut.com

Steve Jones

Post by Steve Jones »

Yes,I just got an advert at the bottom offering me Red Diesal!now what kind of sneaky type do they think I am<LOL>?
Steve JonesI don't know everything, I just like to give that impression!

tilly

Post by tilly »

Steve Jones wrote: Yes,I just got an advert at the bottom offering me Red Diesal!now what kind of sneaky type do they think I am<LOL>? Hi Steve does that come from Russia?
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

Steve Jones wrote: Yes,I just got an advert at the bottom offering me Red Diesal!now what kind of sneaky type do they think I am<LOL>? The sort of person who uses it of course
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

BarFly

Post by BarFly »

cnosni wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Yes,I just got an advert at the bottom offering me Red Diesal!now what kind of sneaky type do they think I am<LOL>? The sort of person who uses it of course A farmer?What?

cnosni
Site Admin

Post by cnosni »

BarFly wrote: cnosni wrote: Steve Jones wrote: Yes,I just got an advert at the bottom offering me Red Diesal!now what kind of sneaky type do they think I am<LOL>? The sort of person who uses it of course A farmer?What? I cant really be specific,he is a JP.Luckily with a sense of humour and a penchant for spending his hoildays on remote Scottish islands that can only be reached by seaplane/boat.
Don't get me started!!My Flickr photos-http://www.flickr.com/photos/cnosni/Secret Leeds contactinfo@secretleeds.com

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

There seems to be a great deal of confusion with regards this idea of dedicated 'topic moderators' I've mentioned looking through this thread. I'd just like to try clarify what I had in mind a little better.Firstly nothing at all would change from the way it already is regarding mods. Moderators would still see the forum ran smoothly, and they still would clean up and move things about in any topic section regardless.So nothing at all would change, and this is what bemuses me that people seem to be so set against it? Confused.com Nothing would be added, and nothing taken away from how it already is, no mod would have anything less, or more to do. They wouldn't have any more, or less authority either. Instead of taking anything away from the site, I thought making the most of peoples knowledge of certain subjects to help run, and keep the site in order would be beneficial and an added bonus to the site??Perhaps if you think of these dedicated ''subject mods'' more like a 'librarian' or 'curator'Having someone who knows where things are, and can help link to existing duplicate threads. And just add their knowledge to a topic they are already very knowledgeable about has to be a bonus?These 'curators' wouldn't have any say so on the forum, unless they are already mods of course. All the curators would do is help keep in order, and organise a section they know a lot about. Think of a dusty old bookshop, crammed full with books top to bottom, you'd have no chance finding anything in there, but ask the owner who has had that shop 40 years and he could pull out the ladders and put his fingers on the most obscure book you wanted. If these 'curators' were listed in each section they looked after like this Then people would know who to contact if they needed any help or advice on that subject, it may only be a small question, or little help that they might not want to post a topic about. It could even help if anyone wanted to run a story in the press, magazine, documentary, or write a book. The journalists/authors would know who to contact regarding the information they needed. Organised right, Secret Leeds could be the only place to come regarding any aspect of Leeds past and present history. There is a good potential for possible business either individually, or as a site as a whole. I just feel it is a shame not to utilise, organise, and take full advantage of peoples great expertise really. We have some people excellent with maps and overlays, great knowledge on pubs, and every subject going really. It's this lack of good forum housekeeping that has let Secret Leeds get far too big and very hard to use over the years. A website forum is just like a p.c hard disk, let the old files build up and up, and one day the whole thing will just grind to a halt.                        
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!

dsco
Site Admin

Post by dsco »

Interesting distinction between moderators and "curators" for wont of another term, not one I've come across before but it could work.
Contact me via ask@tyrell.mobi if you have any questions or comments about the site.

Phill_dvsn

Post by Phill_dvsn »

If it hasn't already been suggested, can I suggest a photo gallery might make the site a lot more interesting too?Have different photos labelled in a specific section. Leeds 'back in the day' photos would also be very popular showing the archive photos how it was. If we were to have this it would be far better if it was organised properly.It would be no good just having people adding photos willy nilly. It would be far better if they linked to a specific thread if possible. The photos being moderated on a submissions approval basis I've found works best in flickr groups. It stops many duplicate photos, and keeps a good quality of content. Each photo having specific search words and keywords/tags e.t.c.    
My flickr pictures are herehttp://www.flickr.com/photos/phill_dvsn/Because lunacy was the influence for an album. It goes without saying that an album about lunacy will breed a lunatics obsessions with an album - The Dark side of the moon!