CAUTION!!

Got a question about Secret Leeds? Start here
book

Post by book »

Where do you get a live Linux boot disc to stop all the threats, ads etc
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Book - there are several I'd suggest that just nicely set themselves up. Download a disk image (iso) and then burn it onto a CD or DVD, then use it to boot your computer from it.Suggested versions to go fromlubuntu.net - does nearly all the work for youpuppylinux.org - very good on old machines, you'd be surprised on how small it isknoppix.net - works very well, very useful to be able to start up a badly infected Windows machine.Do pick the right one if you have a new 64bit machine.If you do get nasties in Windows, Knoppix lets you access the file system and delete malware without starting Windows.When you shut down, you computer won't know that you've been using the hardware with another operating system, it saves nothing on the hard drive.Hope this helps.
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

book

Post by book »

Riponian wrote: Book - there are several I'd suggest that just nicely set themselves up. Download a disk image (iso) and then burn it onto a CD or DVD, then use it to boot your computer from it.Suggested versions to go fromlubuntu.net - does nearly all the work for youpuppylinux.org - very good on old machines, you'd be surprised on how small it isknoppix.net - works very well, very useful to be able to start up a badly infected Windows machine.Do pick the right one if you have a new 64bit machine.If you do get nasties in Windows, Knoppix lets you access the file system and delete malware without starting Windows.When you shut down, you computer won't know that you've been using the hardware with another operating system, it saves nothing on the hard drive.Hope this helps. Roger!
Is it me or has Leeds gone mad

ArmleyLass47

Post by ArmleyLass47 »

I am so sorry you have been attacked by these marketing phone calls. The thing is not to answer them or give them a foothold.They tend to ring you round about the same time so I let them go on answer machine and when it goes dead with no message I know its one of them.I am on TPS as well and I am really agressive on the phone if they ring me. They probably put me down as Rottweiller dont ringbut dont care about that, it does stop them ringing again.I dont do surveys as I wouldn't if i walked down the street.If they quite obviously are Indian speakers pretending to be Englishyou should pretend you are Foreign too, its a laugh.
On Ilkla Moor ba'tat!!!

chameleon
Site Admin

Post by chameleon »

'you should pretend you are Foreign too, its a laugh'With a suitable foreign name and fake accent of course.My brother hass an hilarious play for these guys, after sounding interested, he 'finds his chip pan has caught fire and blames them for distracting him and threatens to sue, with a good deal of hysterical shouting. Rarely ring again

String o' beads

Post by String o' beads »

I do feel a bit sorry for the poor sods who have to do this rubbish job, probably for minimum wage or even less of a pittance in India, but not to the extent of allowing them to bug me. I used to allow them to talk to my carpet, but I learned that once they know that 'someone' is in the house it doesn't deter them. And letting it go to ansaphone is not helpful, since the new scam is to leave an automated message asking you to call their number. I'm sure a lot of people will fall for that. I've now got caller display, so any number that I don't recognise I just let it ring. I don't put the ansaphone on - anyone who knows me has my mobile number. They persist for about two weeks then stop.

Riponian

Post by Riponian »

Mrs Riponian can lose her grasp on my native tongue and they hang up. However I've also had silent calls, but when I have used my somewhat slack grasp of the out-law's lingo, it's suddenly greetings of "hello".
I like work. I can watch it for hours.

tilly

Post by tilly »

I have just got back from two weeks holiday i had thirteen calls on my answerphone every one from callers wanting to sort out my PPI.I have never had any sort of credit so wy should i be owed money has some of them claim what i tend to do is pick up the phone if i find there is no one there in the first few seconds i put the phone down.This has caused me a few problems with my wife as she often rings me from her work and at times she has been cut of by me i cant say on here what she calls me when she rings back He He.
No matter were i end my days im an Hunslet lad with Hunslet ways.

HelenG

Post by HelenG »

I have recently had a call "According to our records someone in your household works/ has worked in a industry using vibrating machinery and may be entitled to claim money for industrial injuries" Which is correct, my husband did,however these records are obviously not kept up to date. I confirmed yes that would be my husband and no he wasn't available to take the call however they could try contact him through a medium as he has been dead for almost 14 years!!! The line went dead!

Leodian

Post by Leodian »

I always let phone calls go to the answering machine so I rarely ever need pick up the phone. One thing does though concern me. That is when the left message has something like "If you do not wish to hear from us again press number 2" (or whatever). I never press that which I think will only alert the caller to you being in or at least that you listen and respond (much like I never request to unsubscribe from spam emails as that only lets the caller know the email is live). However, I wonder what the legal position is if I do not press 2, as by not pressing it I may be legally agreeing to allow the calling site to continue calling me. I hope all of that made sense!
A rainbow is a ribbon that Nature puts on when she washes her hair.